2014 TrackChasers Week 1 Summary

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2014

      (Weekly Listserve Update #157)  Welcome to the first update of 2014.  Starting my fourth year in my second stint as statistician.  We are blasting into another great year of TrackChasing and there is a lot to report.

      First, some unfinished business from 2013.  Roger "Mariano" Ferrell closed the year with four more new Florida tracks in the last two days of the calendar year.  Before this year, Roger had been to just two tracks in the state of Florida.  By the time the clock struck midnight on December 31, Roger's Florida total stood at 22 tracks.  Congratulations Roger for being the last to score a new track in 2013.

      On New Year's Day, Vince Sadowski took in the first race of the year for the group at the Arizona Speedway.  Vince also added two previous dirt/asphalt track variations to his track list that were previously not reported.  Congratulations Vince for being the first to score a new track in 2014.

      The honor of being the first North American TrackChaser added under the new "Universal 100" policy was former Battle of the Bluegrass Late Model Series announcer Dustin Jarrett, the current house announcer at Tony Stewart's Eldora Speedway as well as author of the "Puttin' on a Show" blog.  Dustin called the addition of his track list on www.roamingtheraceways.com an "honor", that he "appreciates it and it really does mean a lot".  Dustin's track total is currently 173 tracks and locations in 37 states.  Dustin also works pay per view events for DirtonDirt.com where he also has a blog, and says that although he rarely posts, he reads each post on the group listserve.  Please take the time to check out Dustin's impressive track list.

      Being immobile due to knee surgery, I had the time to update the Record Book, Different Countries, and TrackChaser Links on my website.  The Record Book section is much expanded this year.

      Group member, friend, and former High Commissioner Will White taught me how to search the database this week for unique queries.  In the past, it was easy for me to tell, for example, that the group had a total of 37,561 new track visits by 85 TrackChasers in 76 different countries.  But until this week, I didn't know how to search for unique instances.  With Will's instruction, I now have learned that new skill, and can now report that the group has been to 5,842 different (unique) tracks, at 4,456 different (unique) locations.  How cool is that?

      I also began a process I had in mind for the past couple of years, and that is to go through all 37,000+ tracks and complete and/or edit the track names for each.  Tracks entered as just "Placerville" would be completed to "Placerville Speedway", for example.  References to track types and track surfaces would be deleted from the track names, as that information, which at one time was not available on the website, is now available on my site.  Finally, references to specific track sizes are being removed from the track names, so as not to give the false impression that a track that is just enlarged or shortened is considered a new track.  This is a massive undertaking, and I will be lucky to complete it by the end of 2014.  But the first 1,000 tracks are completed.

      We are one for one in new track weeks for 2014.  Our total number of new tracks for the year is 1.  That's not NEARLY enough, we want TONS more!  Vince Sadowski has the most new tracks with 1.

      *****
      *

      ADDITIONAL PREVIOUS 2014 TRACKS

      n/a

      2014 WEEK 1 ADDITIONS (DECEMBER 30 - JANUARY 5)

      Monday, December 30

      Roger Ferrell--Daytona International Speedway (fFat Track), FL

      Tuesday, December 31

      Roger Ferrell--Showtime Speedway (oval), FL
      Roger Ferrell--Showtime Speedway (figure 8), FL
      Roger Ferrell--Showtime Speedway (road circuit), FL

      Saturday, January 4

      Vince Sadowski--Arizona Speedway, AZ

       *****

      2013/2014
      SUMMARY

      Total 2013 New Track Visits Reported--814
      Total 2014 New Track Visits Reported --1

      2013
      Number of Group TrackChasers With New Tracks This Year--46
      2014 Number of Group TrackChasers With New Tracks This Year--1

      2013
      US States Visited for New Tracks--42
      2014 US States Visited for New Tracks--1 (AZ)

      2013
      Canadian Provinces Visited for New Tracks--03
      2014 Canadian Provinces Visited for New Tracks--0

      2013
      Countries Visited for New Tracks--18
      2013 Countries Visited for New Tracks--1 (USA)

      *****

      ALL-TIME SUMMARY

      Lifetime Group Total of Reported TrackChaser New Track Visits--37,651
      Lifetime Unique Number of Different Tracks Visited--5,842
      Lifetime Unique Track Locations Visited--4,457

      Additional "Non TC Classified Tracks"--148

      Different Countries in Which Members Have Seen Racing--76
      All Time Number of Qualified Group Members--85

      *****

      The following are welcome at any time for those that would like to improve the information already contained on their personal track listing:

      * Dates to listed tracks
      * Modifications to the track names currently listed
      * Information for the "Track Notes" column for each track visited
      * Tracks for any of the various "Non TC Classified" categories that are outside of TrackChasers group

      Information in the "Non TC Classified" categories will be updated as soon as possible, with preference always being given to the TC stats and to group reserach project drivers.

      All TrackChaser group statistics are available at any time on my website at www.roamingtheraceways.com.

      Please report your new track visits in as timely a manner as possible so that all can enjoy and celebrate the travels of the other members of our group that share our hobby. Continue to submit your ideas for changes or improvements to my website and my YahooGroups! listserve. Thank you.

      Catch ya next time!

      Guy Smith
    • colin herridge
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2014
        Guy,how many tracks are truly unique ie only 1 visit by 1 trackchaser ?
        Colin

        ------------------------------

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2014
          Colin:

          Despite the fact that I am currently teaching computer programming and within the past three years have taught Access database, when it comes to MySQL, Will White is "The Man" when it comes to this group.

          Your request was above my pay grade, but Will tackled your question, and after some trial and error came up with the proper SQL code to help generate an answer that is very close to being accurate.  The total "may" be off my a couple or a few tracks due to certain track variations at a particular location being given separate ID codes in the database, while not being separately countable different tracks by TrackChasers.

          That disclaimer being said, the number is 2,177 tracks visited by just one TrackChaser.

          That number is higher than I would have guessed, but take into consideration the many autocross tracks in Belgium and Netherlands visited by Roland, plus the many early career tracks from our Research Project Drivers who hail from many different countries and racked up a good number of tracks that are not on the international circuits.  For example, the most recent addition, Oscar Larrauri of Argentina has been documented to have raced at 30 tracks in that country, where our previous most was Jerry Fisher with four.  When I thought of it that way, I can see where the number would be higher than I would have anticipated.

          Anyway, there's your answer.

          Guy,how many tracks are truly unique ie only 1 visit by 1 trackchaser ?
          Colin

          On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 19:43 GMT RTRYFBAR@... wrote: > >TrackChasers: > >(Weekly Listserve Update #157) Welcome to the first update of 2014. Starting my fourth year in my second stint as statistician. We are blasting into another great year of TrackChasing and there is a lot to report. > >First, some unfinished business from 2013. Roger "Mariano" Ferrell closed the year with four more new Florida tracks in the last two days of the calendar year. Before this year, Roger had been to just two tracks in the state of Florida. By the time the clock struck midnight on December 31, Roger's Florida total stood at 22 tracks. Congratulations Roger for being the last to score a new track in 2013. > >On New Year's Day, Vince Sadowski took in the first race of the year for the group at the Arizona Speedway. Vince also added two previous dirt/asphalt track variations to his track list that were previously not reported. Congratulations Vince for being the first to score a new track in 2014. > >The honor of being the first North American TrackChaser added under the new "Universal 100" policy was former Battle of the Bluegrass Late Model Series announcer Dustin Jarrett, the current house announcer at Tony Stewart's Eldora Speedway as well as author of the "Puttin' on a Show" blog. Dustin called the addition of his track list on www.roamingtheraceways.com an "honor", that he "appreciates it and it really does mean a lot". Dustin's track total is currently 173 tracks and locations in 37 states. Dustin also works pay per view events for DirtonDirt.com where he also has a blog, and says that although he rarely posts, he reads each post on the group listserve. Please take the time to check out Dustin's impressive track list. > >Being immobile due to knee surgery, I had the time to update the Record Book, Different Countries, and TrackChaser Links on my website. The Record Book section is much expanded this year. > >Group member, friend, and former High Commissioner Will White taught me how to search the database this week for unique queries. In the past, it was easy for me to tell, for example, that the group had a total of 37,561 new track visits by 85 TrackChasers in 76 different countries. But until this week, I didn't know how to search for unique instances. With Will's instruction, I now have learned that new skill, and can now report that the group has been to 5,842 different (unique) tracks, at 4,456 different (unique) locations. How cool is that? > >I also began a process I had in mind for the past couple of years, and that is to go through all 37,000+ tracks and complete and/or edit the track names for each. Tracks entered as just "Placerville" would be completed to "Placerville Speedway", for example. References to track types and track surfaces would be deleted from the track names, as that information, which at one time was not available on the website, is now available on my site. Finally, references to specific track sizes are being removed from the track names, so as not to give the false impression that a track that is just enlarged or shortened is considered a new track. This is a massive undertaking, and I will be lucky to complete it by the end of 2014. But the first 1,000 tracks are completed. > >We are one for one in new track weeks for 2014. Our total number of new tracks for the year is 1. That's not NEARLY enough, we want TONS more! Vince Sadowski has the most new tracks with 1. > >****** > >ADDITIONAL PREVIOUS 2014 TRACKS > >n/a > >2014 WEEK 1 ADDITIONS (DECEMBER 30 - JANUARY 5) > >Monday, December 30 > >Roger Ferrell--Daytona International Speedway (fFat Track), FL > >Tuesday, December 31 > >Roger Ferrell--Showtime Speedway (oval), FL > >Roger Ferrell--Showtime Speedway (figure 8), FL >Roger Ferrell--Showtime Speedway (road circuit), FL > >Saturday, January 4 > >Vince Sadowski--Arizona Speedway, AZ > > ***** > >2013/2014 SUMMARY > >Total 2013 New Track Visits Reported--814 >Total 2014 New Track Visits Reported --1 > >2013 Number of Group TrackChasers With New Tracks This Year--46 >2014 Number of Group TrackChasers With New Tracks This Year--1 > >2013 US States Visited for New Tracks--42 >2014 US States Visited for New Tracks--1 (AZ) > >2013 Canadian Provinces Visited for New Tracks--03 >2014 Canadian Provinces Visited for New Tracks--0 > >2013 Countries Visited for New Tracks--18 >2013 Countries Visited for New Tracks--1 (USA) > >***** > >ALL-TIME SUMMARY > >Lifetime Group Total of Reported TrackChaser New Track Visits--37,651 >Lifetime Unique Number of Different Tracks Visited--5,842 >Lifetime Unique Track Locations Visited--4,457 > >Additional "Non TC Classified Tracks"--148 > >Different Countries in Which Members Have Seen Racing--76 >All Time Number of Qualified Group Members--85 > >***** > >The following are welcome at any time for those that would like toimprove the information already contained on their personal tracklisting: > >* Dates to listed tracks > > > > >* Modifications to the track names currently listed >* Information for the "Track Notes" column for each track visited >* Tracks for any of the various "Non TC Classified" categories that are outside of TrackChasers group > >Information in the "Non TC Classified" categories will be updated assoon as possible, with preference always being given to the TC stats and to group reserach project drivers. > >All TrackChaser group statistics are available at any time on my website at www.roamingtheraceways.com. > >Please report your new track visits in as timely a manneras possible so that all can enjoy and celebrate the travels of theother members of our group that share our hobby. Continue to submityour ideas for changes or improvements to my website and myYahooGroups! listserve. Thank you. > >Catch ya next time! > >Guy Smith > > > > ------------------------------------ Community email addresses: Post message: TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: TrackChasers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: TrackChasers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: TrackChasers-owner@yahoogroups.com Shortcut URL to this page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TrackChasersYahoo Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TrackChasers/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TrackChasers/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: TrackChasers-digest@yahoogroups.com TrackChasers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: TrackChasers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to: http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/
        • colin herridge