Italy or European auto races on March 1-2?

  • terrapin44
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2014
      I need to be in Rome for a conference at the end of February and plan on staying in Europe the weekend following (March 1-2). I tried to find a race to go to but no luck so far. I really don't know where to look besides the major series in Europe and for the most part, March 1-2 is too early. Does anyone know of either a race I can go to or some good places to look for races. I'm fine with hopping on a cheap flight to some other country in Europe for something countable. I only managed to find a rally in Romania and I believe that isn't countable.
    • snakeyk1usa
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2014
        Edward, I would think once Roland sees your post he will do his best to help you.
      • richard.salamon
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2014

          Hello!

          Please write back in mid February and I will try to find some minor events in mid-Europe.I am from Hungary and I find only one minor rally event at March 15th.(I can book a great motel!)

          Richard A. Salamon

          sramoa@...

        • Vanden Eynde Roland
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2014
            Edward,

            Not all race schedules for Italy (or for many other countries) are available yet, but, believe it or not, I have a confirmed two day rallycross meeting at the Circuit Duivelsberg, in Maasmechelen (Belgium). Saturday is for the regional championship (with older cars), Sunday is for the national one (with a few state of the arts cars).

            There are lots of cheap flights between Rome and either Brussels National Airport (with Alitalia, highly recommended) or to Brussels South (Charleroi) with Ryanair. As I don't have anything else lined up for that weekend, I'm willing to be your driver/guide if you would opt for coming to Belgium.

            Roland

            I need to be in Rome for a conference at the end of February and plan on staying in Europe the weekend following (March 1-2). I tried to find a race to go to but no luck so far. I really don't know where to look besides the major series in Europe and for the most part, March 1-2 is too early. Does anyone know of either a race I can go to or some good places to look for races. I'm fine with hopping on a cheap flight to some other country in Europe for something countable. I only managed to find a rally in Romania and I believe that isn't countable.

            Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

          • Colin Casserley
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2014
              Try the www.pewi.nl site for race dates in Holland and Belgium

              http://www.pewispeedway.eu/races

              Colin

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2014

                Thanks Colin. This website you mentioned is a great source of information! I did find another site that is good for bigger series world wide that may be helpful to others: http://autosportcalendar.com but it doesn't list the less prominent events like  http://www.pewispeedway.eu/races does.

                Edward

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2014
                    Edward, You will now have the best tour guide possible. I traveled with both of you and the two of you have plenty in common.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2014
                      Edward,

                      It seems you may possibly duplicate my 2001 introduction to Continental
                      European racing. I went to Maasmechelen for a round of the Belgian
                      Rallycross Championship on a Saturday and then to Warneton on the Sunday.

                      Will

                      On 1/6/2014 12:47 PM, terrapin44@... wrote:
                      > Thanks Roland! I will come to Belgium and take you up on your offer.
                      > Since I know nothing about racing in Belgium (I have never even seen a
                      > countable race anywhere in Europe), I'll let yiu decide what is the best
                      > race (or races) to go to. I did notice that there is a Banger race at
                      > Warenton on the site that Colin mentioned on March 2nd, but as I said,
                      > I'll leave it up to you about where to go. I am fine with only getting
                      > to see racing at one track but if I can get two tracks, that wouldn't be
                      > bad either. I did a quick check on airfares and I'll probably arrive in
                      > Belgium early Saturday morning or possibly late Friday night. I'll let
                      > you know when I book the flight (probably in the next day or two).
                      >
                      > Edward
                      >

                      > ---In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, <roland.vandeneynde@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Edward,
                      >
                      > Not all race schedules for Italy (or for many other countries) are
                      > available yet, but, believe it or not, I have a confirmed two day
                      > rallycross meeting at the Circuit Duivelsberg, in Maasmechelen
                      > (Belgium). Saturday is for the regional championship (with older cars),
                      > Sunday is for the national one (with a few state of the arts cars).
                      >
                      > There are lots of cheap flights between Rome and either Brussels
                      > National Airport (with Alitalia, highly recommended) or to Brussels
                      > South (Charleroi) with Ryanair. As I don't have anything else lined up
                      > for that weekend, I'm willing to be your driver/guide if you would opt
                      > for coming to Belgium.
                      >
                      > Roland
                    • Vanden Eynde Roland
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2014
                        Edward,

                        Glad to hear you're coming to Belgium. It's a good thing Colin mentioned the Pewi website, because my employer, who's internet facilities I use most of the time, blocks it for a reason unknown to me. I last logged on CAMSO's site, the promoters of Warneton before Christmas and at that time they didn't have a 2014 schedule. But I checked now and they will have quite a nice meeting on March 2. The only negative thing is that it's the only meeting on which their star class (with former ARCA cars) isn't performing. So, it seems you will copy Will's 2001 programme, but Will saw the old version of Warneton, a flat quarter mile paved oval with very few spectator amenities. Since then, they've changed it into a banked one and the spectator stands are far better than on most similar tracks in the USA. I'm pretty certain we'll both enjoy ourselves.

                        Roland

                        I need to be in Rome for a conference at the end of February and plan on staying in Europe the weekend following (March 1-2). I tried to find a race to go to but no luck so far. I really don't know where to look besides the major series in Europe and for the most part, March 1-2 is too early. Does anyone know of either a race I can go to or some good places to look for races. I'm fine with hopping on a cheap flight to some other country in Europe for something countable. I only managed to find a rally in Romania and I believe that isn't countable.

                        Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

                      • rpmgordy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 8, 2014
                          Edward,

                               Two things are certain when traveling in Europe with Roland. You will dine well, and you will benefit from the extensive, local knowledge he will pass on to you that enhances the experience. I hope your itinerary provides the opportunity for you to pass "the test". Enjoy your time there. I sure did.

                          Gordy
                        • ed c
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 8, 2014
                            Everyone is telling me that I will eat well with Roland. Beinga bit of a "foodie"  I am looking forward to that part of my trip.

                            Edward