Two new tracks

  • dalezoom
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
      Hello trackchasers,

      I used my final days off of the year last week and took a drive east.

      On Friday, I hit the Steel Block Bandits show at Natural Bridge, Va. Twenty-seven late models checked in and Walker Arthur passed Larry Ramsey for the feature win. The sportsman feature (12 cars) was a decent race -- Tyler Bare won from fifth.

      On Saturday, I followed the Steel Block Bandits north to Eastside Speedway in Waynesboro. It took some time to get the track in shape but race they did. Greg Roberson won the late model main (27 cars again)from the pole.

      On Sunday, I returned to Hagerstown for the first time since the spring of 1998 for the completion of the Brawl in the Fall that originally was washed out by Sandy last year. Among the winners was Greg Satterlee, a winner at Shawano this summer.

      Not much passing all weekend but a good trip nonetheless.

      Dale O.

      Virginia
      Eastside Waynesboro dirt oval 9/28/2013
      Natural Bridge Natural Bridge dirt oval 9/27/2013
    • rpmgordy
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
        Dale,

             I drove past Natural Bridge on my way to Tri-County that day, and it was raining hard. Glad you got it in. Eastside too, the next day, as the forecast for that day stunk also. Send all the midgets you can to Granite City. I hope the class survives all of it's recent foolishness all across the country. Adios.

        Gordy
      • dalezoom
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2013
          Hi Gordy ...

          I was at Natural Bridge the week after you were at Tri-County, so there was no threat of rain. ... Have fun at Granite City; I thought about driving down for Thursday only (have to work Friday night) but chickened out.

          Dale

          --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, RPMGORDY@... wrote:

          > Dale,
          >
          > I drove past Natural Bridge on my way to Tri-County that day, and it
          > was raining hard. Glad you got it in. Eastside too, the next day, as the
          > forecast for that day stunk also. Send all the midgets you can to Granite
          > City. I hope the class survives all of it's recent foolishness all across the
          > country. Adios.
          >
          > Gordy

        • dalezoom
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2014

            Hello trackchasers,

            I saw six shows and added a couple of new tracks last week.

             I started with a late model special at Madison International on Tuesday and USMTS shows at Valley Speedway in Missouri and 81 in Kansas on Wednesday and Thursday. Matt Kenseth won at MIS, taking advantage of a couple of late restarts. Zack VanderBeek won at Valley after Rodney Sanders slipped over the edge while running the high side. Sanders came back to win at 81, edging VanderBeek by .012 seconds (as Penn Can now knows, transponders can come in handy).

            On Friday, Oil Capital Racing Series sprinters running wingless lured me to West Siloam Springs (OK) Speedway. Seventeen drivers showed up to compete on the ¼-mile with a very sharp Turn 4. This track is listed in the directory as a Sunday track, but I believe the new promoter ditched that plan early in the season and went to Fridays. The sprinters put on a good show. Teenager Chance Morton won from fifth after contact with leader David Stephenson sent Stephenson spinning. The show also featured pure stocks (11), B mods (5) and grand nationals (6).

            On Saturday, POWRi West midgets joined the regular micro classes at the 1/5-mile I-44 Riverside Speedway on the south side of Oklahoma City. This track was badly damaged by a tornado last year but was rebuilt and reopened about 10 weeks later. The show drew 17 midgets, 22 nonwinged 600s, 26 winged 600s, 11 wingless turf tire 600s, 12 restrictors and 13 junior class. The track slicked off badly and the high groove that was there for hot laps quickly disappeared. The winged and turf tire cars raced the best because some guys actually moved off of the bottom. Alex Sewell won the midget feature when race-long leader Eric Fenton slipped high in Turn 2 on the last lap. Jim Woods finished the long night (lotsa yellows in the features) by winning the winged main from sixth.

            On Sunday, I made it to Angell Park for USAC sprints and Badger midgets. John Stanbrough topped the sprints (18 cars), taking the top spot when leader Chase Stockton jumped the cushion in Turn 2, hit the wall and rolled. After the sprint featch, the midgets (19 cars) ran on the bottom and Andrew Felker made a late pass of David Budres to get the win.

            Dale O.

            Oklahoma

            I-44 Riverside dirt oval 6-21-2014

            West Siloam Springs dirt oval 6-20-2014

          • rpmgordy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2014
              You just can't take the Prairie out of a Wisconsinite. I hope that never changes. Good job Dale.

              Gordy
              Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 28, 2014

                Hello trackchasers,

                After going to a disappointing show at Rolling Wheels on Thursday night, I remained in New York on Friday and went to the reopened Freedom Speedway in Delevan. I didn't expect much and the show didn't even meet those expectations. Twelve street stocks, seven sportsman, nine 360 late models, nine mini-stocks and little passing. At least they moved the show along, and I hit the road before the mini-stock feature just before 9 p.m.

                I headed west, wanting to go the Putnamville Clash on Saturday, but the forecast was so bad I decided to continue the new track quest. I wound up at Cedar Ridge Speedway in Kentucky for an American Modified Series event. Twenty UMP mods were on hand in addition the usual junky Kentucky classes -- six B mods, eight 4-cylinders, 11 one-man cruisers, 11 rusty bolts and seven street stocks. The track was very dusty and there was little passing in the mod races. Here's the shocker, though: With rain approaching, they moved the show along, ran the mod feature right after intermission and I was headed out of there before 10 -- unbelievable for Kentucky. Brian Shaw won after taking the lead on a double-file restart.

                My Sunday plan was Kokomo, but that was canceled early and I headed back toward GB, stopping at Slinger for its regular show.

                Dale O.

                Kentucky

                Cedar Ridge dirt oval Morgantown 7-26-2014

                New York

                Freedom dirt oval Delevan 7-25-2014

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 28, 2014
                  Interesting that Roland just completed a North American trip with visits to nearly 20 new tracks, and he also mentioned to us that Rolling Wheels was the low point.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2014
                    After last weeks 5 race road trip I had planned on resting up for 3 eight hour chemo treatments this week. However while surfing I saw that there was a $3000.00 To win show at Tennessee National on Saturday. With Lexington 104 running Friday how could I resist two new tracks less than 100 miles apart. When I got up Friday I wasn't feeling like another road trip and was talking myself into staying home. After a wishy-washy hour of trying to convince myself to forget going my inner self said get off your butt and hit the road. So I packed up the road house and drove to Lexington Tennessee. Lexington was a regular show with two Open wheel classes plus the vintage outlaw racers. They started on time and moved along pretty well. The highlight was the winner of the vintage races was 75 years young, older than his 1939 race car and he was driving the newest car in the field. The races got over early enough for me to drive into town and settle in at my favorite accommodations at Wal-Mart. Saturday it was off towards TNR for a Late Model Show. They had a full field of Late Models and Limited Late Models. Fridays track was surface was very good with little dust and only a little breakup in turn three. Saturday on the other hand turned dry slick and was very dusty as my washcloth was black after cleaning up following the late night. The features turned out to be very entertaining but the program lasted way too long but it was Saturday night in Tennessee so what can you expect. All in all it was a good trip and I was glad I made the effort. Dave