Ich bin ein Berliner

  • rpmgordy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2013
      Greetings from your breadman emeritus in Southboro, MA.

           No trackchasing this weekend, as I'm in MA to celebrate my niece, Amy's 21st birthday. Some of you know that she was born with cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair while having minimal motor skills. Any time spent with her is time well spent, and reminds me that my problems are minimal compared to her's. Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than putting 1 on her. I did that by surprising her last night, and will do so again shortly by taking her to breakfast. While I have a minute, I will update you on my last new track on Tuesday.

           They put dirt down on the Berlin Raceway for the 2nd year in a row, and a rare Tuesday race for the SOD group made for a visit to MI. I couldn't go last year as Suz was hospital bound in Boston. I accepted lodging at the Brown B&B where Chef Nancy spoiled me again. We joined Allan Brown's brother, Adrian, at the track for a 4 division card that was very entertaining on a very slick track. Visions of Flemington danced in my head as Berlin is track with the closest shape to "the Square". SOD drew a pleasantly unexpected 27 cars of high quality that included Shane Stewart, Randy Hannegan and Greg Wilson. That didn't deter Dustin Daggett, as he defended his home turf with an impressive display of rim riding.

           The highlight of the evening may have been talking to Nanette Ferguson 38 years after she sold me my first National Speedway Directory at Rolling Wheels Raceway in NY. I thanked her for that and how it changed my life. I already had some wanderlust, but had no idea at the time that there was so much racing in the USA. That book spurred me on, and 1300+ tracks later I'm grateful that the book led to me having a wonderful life of exploring my country and the world. It was truly a nice moment.

           Next weekend will find me at the Tri-City Raceway in IL for the Gold Crown midget races. Adios.

      Gordy