2013 TrackChaser Report #86--Muddy Run Oval, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2013
      TrackChasers:

      Last Sunday Pam and I stopped at Muddy Run Raceway on the way home from Lernerville.  We first saw racing on the off-road circuit, see report #85 from yesterday for more details.

      The second track was the oval.  We first discovered the oval track in 2001, I'm not sure if they were using it before that time.  The cars race in the clockwise direction on the oval, opposite of the usual way in the USA.  Turns three and four are part of the road circuit.  The oval track is flat, there are no jumps or anything like that.  However, there tends to be a lot of water on the oval.  Most of the cars go around the deeper water, they are not required to go through it.  The car class at Muddy Run is called "Good Ole Boys".

      Entries were down in other classes, but the nine cars appeared to be the same number as when Mike, Jeff, and Edward were there last month.  There was more than that when Gordy, Will, and I first went to the track in 2001.  By the way, they still give you your own garbage bag when you buy your ticket.

      This was not a new track for me, as it was my second visit to Muddy Run.  I have no more new track visits planned in September, and it looks like I might end the month with five straight repeatsI can add it to my always growing list of tracks that I have been to more than just one time.

      We watched one complete round of all events on all courses, then left at intermission when the racers displayed their vehicles for photos and to sign autographs.

      On Tuesday evening, I joined my brother in law Bruce at the AAA National Championship baseball game between the Durham Bulls and the Omaha Storm Chasers.  There was both a TrackChasing and general racing connection.  TrackChasers Bruce and Pat Eckel were sitting six sections over from me.  And I was also spotted by old pals and decorated racing photographers Jack Kromer and Mel Stettler.  I rooted for Omaha, who won 2-1.  Any team with "Chasers" on their chests seemed to be like my kind of guys.  Of course it meant yet another exhausted day at work, but how often does someone offer you a free ticket to a national championship game less than an hour from home?

      This coming weekend the plan is high school football Friday (Roughs are 3-0, all by Mercy Rule), a return to see the Winged Outlaw Karts at Middle Road (another second look but first look for Pam), dinner at the Bloomsburg Fair (but too late to meet Norm Wagner at the F8 race in the afternoon), a Sunday trip to give mom and Gin a second look inside the house Pam and I are buying for them (and then take them out to lunch), and finally MAYBE a Sunday evening trip to the races at Big Diamond (if I can stand missing the second last episode of the Great Food Truck Race on Food Network).  Should be fun!

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 51
      / Pam 38

      2013 Events-- Guy