2013 TrackChaser Report #85--Muddy Run Off Road Course, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2013
      TrackChasers:

      I first went to Muddy Run Raceway in September of 2001 with Will White and Gordy Killian.  At that time, we saw the Trucks compete on the off road circuit, and the "Good Ole Boys" cars race on the oval.  As the trucks only raced two at a time against the clock, only the oval was a track that fit into our group guidelines at the time.

      When I decided to go to Lernerville on Saturday the 14th, I also planned a stop at Muddy Run on the way home, since Pam had not been there in the past and it was only about a half hour out of the way.  When Mike Knappenberger, Edward Corrado, and Jeff Sands went to Muddy Run for the summer event in August, they reported that they now had a wheel-to-wheel class that races on the off road course.  That made my already planned visit even more interesting.

      Muddy Run has been around for 24 years.  They have four shows a year, this being the finale.  The announcer mentioned that for the first time ever, they had snow at their May opener.  Events on the off road part of the facility include the obstacle course, drags, and hillclimb; for the various classes of trucks.  Those competitions are still limited to just one or two vehicles at a time.  At one time they also  had a mud bog track, which is now incorporated into the obstacle course and no longer a separate event.  What we did not know until Edward, Mike and Jeff attended the August event was that there was now also a mass start class running on the course.

      The Class 1--ATV Buggies race on a modified version of the full circuit.  They basically skip the deepest mud puddles and some other portions of the course, but for those familiar with the layout, they do go all the way up to the top of the the hill on the left side of the course.  They go the opposite direct of the trucks, which use the entire off road circuit.  There are actually two classes of the ATV Buggies, two-wheel drive class and a four wheel drive class.  If they get enough of them, they split them into two groups.  Otherwise they run together as they did in August and again today.

      Admission was $15 with racing set to start at noon.  There are no seats, and you can watch from your car at the top of the hill, or set up chairs or a blanket anywhere on the hill.  Pam set up a chair in front of our car.  I was doing my "human pinball" act of video and photography from as many different locations as possible, and never really sat down other than in the car or on the grass.  They apologized for the delay in starting, which was only 15 minutes.  A good crowd was on hand on a spectacular September afternoon.

      The ATV Buggies were the first race of the day, not a surprise since they are called Class 1.  After their race, they settled in to a series of one on one timed runs for the trucks, which were fun to watch due to the several huge water obstacles.  We watched a complete round of all the racing on the off road circuit while waiting for the cars to race on the oval located on the lower part of the course.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 51
      / Pam 37