2013 TrackChaser Report #84--Lernerville, PA (Figure 8)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2013

      Since I am extra busy this fall, at both work (school) and in buying a house for my mom and aunt, I'm staying a lot more local and trying to clean up some of the, for lack of a better term, "Non Directory" tracks that are missing from my resume in PA and other states nearby.

      After the entire show on the Lernerville Speedway oval track (see report #83 from yesterday), it was time for the final two events on the card, the figure-8 race and the demolition derby.

      This was the fourth year the figure-8 event has been scheduled at Lernerville during this show.  In 2010, Mike Knappenberger and I had planned all year to go, but a couple of weeks before the race we discovered we could get to see races at two new tracks, one in the afternoon and one in the evening, in Ohio, and we went there instead.  Rick Schneider and Andy Sivi told us that only one figure-8 car showed up at Lernerville, and the officials had to entice a couple of the demo derby cars to run the figure-8 race.

      The race was scheduled again in 2011.  Once again, it was on my season plan for most of the year.  But knowing what happened the year before, I got gun shy and Pam and I went to Ontario for a race I was sure would be held as scheduled.  I know they had the Lernerville F8 race, but again participation was minimal.  I don't remember exactly how many cars raced in 2011.

      Last year the event was again scheduled, and once again Mike and I had planned to attend.  Not too long before the week of the race we discovered the PA Wings group would be racing at the Middle Road lawnmower racing track.  As that was about two hours closer to home than Lernerville, and I was sure the PA Wings group would have cars, we went there instead.  On the way home, I caught the features at Mahoning Valley.  Last year they did not have the F8 race as they did not get any entries and did not get any of the demo derby cars to run it.

      With the hectic fall, I decided to finally roll the dice.  I talked to Eric, the public relations person from the track, and he assured me that they had every intention of running the race.  Pam and I decided to give it a shot.  We met Mike at the track and the three of us waited it out.

      The first good sign was during intermission, when the announcer (Eric) mentioned the features to follow, and he did say the figure-8 race.  The second good sign was that after the last race on the oval track, they pushed out the big tires to use to lay out the figure-8 course.  The race was 15-laps, and the bare minimum of two cars came to the post for the race, which of course went non stop.  I wish they would have had some more cars, but at least I can finally cross this one off the HitList for Pennsylvania.  Eric told me if the entries didn't increase this year, they would probably go in a different direction next year, so this might have been the last figure-8 race at Lernerville.  These events don't seem to go over too well in western PA.  I remember Mercer scheduled one a few years back and canceled it in advance because they had no interest at all from potential competitors.  That's kind of surprising as the area had a figure-8 tradition at North Hills.

      For Mike, it was his 53rd new track of the year, but his 104th different track overall.  Wow!  I doubt anyone else can top Mike's 51 diferent "not new" tracks for 2013.  By the end of the weekend, he would add two more "not new's" to his list for this year.

      The racing for the evening was over at 9:00, a three-hour show.  The final event of the evening was a demo derby.  Nine cars started the derby, neither of the two cars from the F8 race competed.  A half hour later, we were in Kitanning where we stayed the night.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 51
      / Pam 37

      2013 Events-- Guy