2013 TrackChaser Report #83--Lernerville, PA (Oval)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2013

      I always try to make a new track possibility in my home state a priority, but after three years of finding other options besides Lernerville's figure-8 course, Pam and I finally decided to give it a go this year.

      The figure-8 race and the demo derby would close out the show, but before that they had racing on the oval track.  There were four classes that raced on the oval track.  There were the Sportsman Senior Series for Street Stocks, Mini Late Models, School Buses, and Powder Puff School Buses.  Admission was $11.  Racing was scheduled for 6:00 and they started about a half hour late to accommodate the line of late arriving fans.  I always question the wisdom of making the majority that came on time wait to accommodate the minority that came late.  The crowd was decent for the show.  It's hard for me to judge as Lernerville has a lot of seats.  Although many tracks pack their stands for this type of show, I'd guess it was about half full.  I'm sure it was a financial success for the track.

      There were eight races on the oval.  The show started with a bus heat, followed by two Senior Series heats, and then a Mini Late Model heat.  They only had six buses (only five raced in the heat), which takes away from the excitement in this type of show.  There were 13 in the Senior Series, and 6 in the Mini Late Models.  All heats were eight laps.

      During intermission, they had kids bike races which had a lot of entries, at least 50 I'd say.  Even though it's been 20 years since my last of a decent number of trips to the track in my early traveling days, I always remembered Lernerville as having great food.  With that in mind, I purposely didn't eat anything before arrival.  I was not disappointed at all.  My feast consisted of an appitiser of some wings, followed by an entree of a fish sandwich and fries, then a slice of pizza that was the best speedway pizza of the year, and for desert a caramel apple dumpling ala mode.  A wide selection of good food and treats is something where so many tracks miss the mark when it comes to customer satisfaction.  Lernerville nailed it.

      Lernerville's dirt track is one of the best in PA, and in fact, anywhere.  It is nearly perfect in size, shape, and has some great clay.  I always enjoyed the racing there from the regular shows to the World of Outlaws.  The lighting, public address system, and scoreboard are all of top quality.  The large grandstands offer a great view of the track, but are starting to show their age.  The restrooms at the turn one end of the track are in need of some attention.

      None of the four features were more than 15 laps, which was good as there were not enough cars and for this type of crowd it was good to keep the events moving along.  The bus race had one scratch so only five starters again, the Senior Series stocks had two scratches and their 11 starters was the high count for the night, the Mini Late Models had two scratches so only four raced, and the Powder Puff bus race had one scratch and only two starters.  That's a feature scratch rate of over 20%!

      It was a chilly night, and and it seemed there was pretty long breaks between feature races.  However, it was not a big show in number of events or race laps, and the oval track portion was over before 9:00.  Not bad, just not enough entries in any of the events.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 50
      / Pam 36

      2013 Events-- Guy