2013 TrackChaser Week 35 Summary

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2013

      (Weekly Listserve Update #140)  This past weekend might have been the best one for the group since Will passed the group record-keeping baton back to me two and a half years ago.  Not only were there over 40 new track visits reported this past week, all except one were tracks actually visited during the past week.  But the best thing was that 18 different people from the group added tracks.  I'm pretty sure that has to be the most for a single week during the past two and a half years, possibly ever.  And none of them were the Project Drivers reported by a TC Research Group member.  They were all Active Members.  Because of the holiday weekend and to prevent Jeff from panicking, I added the two Labor Day Monday visits (both at the NY State Fair) to this week's tally, instead of waiting on them for a week.

      The most surprising reporting email of all came from Florida's Mark Manning.  Mark reported visiting a new Iowa track last Sunday.  That was the first time I have ever received a request for update from Mark.  That was certainly a pleasant surprise, and I hope it will not be the last time we hear from him.  Mark became the 39th person to be listed in 2013.

      People from "here" were all around "there".  Jeff Sands from Pennsylvania was in West Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, and New York.  Mike Knappenberger added new tracks while traveling with Jeff in West Virginia and New Hampshire.  Roland Vanden Eynde from Belgium was TrackChasing in France.  Nancy Brown from Michigan added new tracks in Ohio, Georgia, and Kentucky.  Husband Allan got new tracks in two of those three states.  Edward Corrado from New York spent much of his weekend in New Hampshire, meeting up with Jeff and Mike.  Vince Sadowski from Florida was adding tracks in Virginia.  Dave Garrison from Kentucky added new tracks in both West Virginia and Pennsylvania.  Bruce and Pat Eckel from Pennsylvania and soon to be from Indiana were the first of the year to add a new track in Maryland.  Colin Casserley of England added three new tracks in the Netherlands.  The aforementioned Mark Manning from Florida was seeing a new track in Iowa.  Brian Hickey of Massachusetts was TrackChasing for two nights in Illinois.  And Rick Schneider from New York spent at least one day in Pennsylvania, although we honor his wishes that his track list remain unaltered.  How about that for a great group of travelers!

      The biggest "Gathering of the Clan" was at Baker Hill, PA.  On Saturday afternoon, group members Gordy Killian, Rick Schneider, Andy Sivi, Bing Metz, Pam Smith, and Guy Smith were all on hand.  In a very real way, there was a "19th TrackChaser" on hand, as Andy had his late brother Tom's ashes with him at the new version of the track.  I had been to the old version the same year as the Sivi brothers, and it was nice to be reunited, in spirit, with my old friend.

      New tracks were added by the group on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and the bonus day of Monday.  The one new location added to the TCDB was the Put-In-Bay Airport, OH where Allan and Nancy saw vintage sports car racing on a track never before discovered.  The Hallum, Netherlands track visited by Colin Casseley was certainly a new track and basically a new location, the track now being on the other side of town.

      The Eckels soldiered on to the Streets of Baltimore Grand Prix, and scored the first Maryland track of the year for the group.  That brings us to 40 different states visited.  Not too shabby, but I remember when Andy Sivi did 47 states in one year, all by himself, mostly in Hotel Camaro.  C'mon Hickey, can't you get us Alabama, Missouri, or North Dakota?

      The group remained perfect, 35 for 35 in adding new tracks in each week of 2013.

      The lone track added that was not from 2013 was when Gordy Killian noticed that the oval track version of Baker Hill Motorsports was missing from his track list from his visit in 2004.

      The 40 new tracks from 2013 brings our total for the year over 600, to 602 by Labor Day.  Last year it took us until almost the end of the year to get that many.  There might have been more if Bing was successful in his Saturday and Sunday evening plans. Ridin' the Wave!  But that's not enough, we want more!

      *****
      *

      ADDITIONAL 2013 TRACKS FROM WEEKS 1-34 (JANUARY 1 - AUGUST 25)

      none

      2013 WEEK 35 ADDITIONS (AUGUST 26- SEPTEMBER 1 PLUS LABOR DAY HOLIDAY BONUS DAY)

      Wednesday, August 28

      Allan Brown-- Put In Bay Airport, OH
      Nancy Brown--Put In Bay Airport, OH

      Friday, August 30

      Nancy Brown--Atlanta Motor Speedway (Short Track), GA
      Dave Garrison--Beckley Motorsports Park, WV
      Mike Knappenberger--West Virginia Motor Speedway, WV
      Vince Sadowski--Motor Mile, VA
      Jeff Sands--West Virginia Motor Speedway, WV

      Saturday, August 31

      Nancy Brown--Atlanta Motor Speedway (Superspeedway), GA
      Colin Casserley--Hallum (New Location), NLD
      Edward Corrado--White Mountain Motorsports Park, NH
      Bruce Eckel--Baltimore Grand Prix, MD
      Pat Eckel--Baltimore Grand Prix, MD
      Dave Garrison--Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Motor Speedway, PA
      Brian Hickey--Peoria Speedway, IL
      Gordy Killian--
      Baker Hill Motorsports Park, PA
      Bing Metz--
      Baker Hill Motorsports Park, PA
      Vince Sadowski--Franklin County Speedway, VA
      Jeff Sands--Summit Point, WV
      Andy Sivi--
      Baker Hill Motorsports Park, PA
      Guy Smith--Baker Hill Motorsports Park, PA
      Pam Smith--
      Baker Hill Motorsports Park, PA
      Pam Smith--Lake County Speedway F8, OH
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Circuit de Loheac, FRA

      Sunday, September 1

      Allan Brown--Kentucky Motor Speedway F8, KY
      Nancy Brown--Kentucky Motor Speedway Oval, KY
      Nancy Brown--Kentucky Motor Speedway F8, KY
      Colin Casserley--
      Autosportstadion de Polderputten (Outer)
      Colin Casserley--
      Autosportstadion de Polderputten (Inner)
      Edward Corrado--Hudson Speedway, NH
      Edward Corrado--Legion Speedway, NH
      Brian Hickey--Quincy Raceway, IL
      Mike Knappenberger--Legion Speedway, NH
      Mark Manning--Stuart Internatinal Speedway, IA
      Jeff Sands--Thunder Road Speedway, VT
      Jeff Sands--Twin State Speedway, NH
      Jeff Sands--Legion Speedway, NH
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Bec de Mortagne, FRA
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Lorrez le Bocage, FRA

      Labor Day Monday, September 2

      Edward Corrado--New York State Fairgrounds F8, NY
      Jeff Sands--New York State Fairgrounds F8, NY

      *****

      2013 SUMMARY

      Total New Track Visits Reported--602

      Number of Group TrackChasers With New Tracks This Year--39

      US States Visited for New Tracks--40 (AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WV, WA, WI, WY)US States Not Yet Visited This Year--10  (AL, AK, HI, ID, ME, MO, NM, ND, RI, UT)

      Canadian Provinces Visited for New Tracks--03 (AB, ON, QC)

      Countries Visited for New Tracks--14 (AUS, BEL, CAN, CZE, DEN, DEU, FRA, GBR, HUN, ITA, MAR, NLD, UKR, USA)

      *****

      ALL-TIME SUMMARY

      Lifetime Group Total of Reported TrackChaser New Track Visits--36,722 (+41)

      Additional "Non TC Classified Tracks"--148 (no change)

      Different Countries in Which Members Have Seen Racing--74

      *****

      The following are welcome at any time for those that would like to improve the information already contained on their personal track listing:

      * Dates to listed tracks
      * Modifications to the track names currently listed
      * Information for the "Notes" column for each track visited
      * Tracks for any of the various "Non TC Classified" categories that are outside of TrackChasers group

      Information in the "Non TC Classified" categories will be updated as soon as possible, with preference always being given to the TC stats.

      All TrackChaser group statistics are available at any time on the developmental version of my website at www.roamingtheraceways.com.

      Please report your new track visits in as timely a manner as possible so that all can enjoy and celebrate the travels of the other members of our group that share our hobby. Continue to submit your ideas for changes or improvements to my website and my YahooGroups! listserve. Thank you.

      Guy Smith
    • Bing Metz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
        Guy 8/31/13 Lake Erie Speedway North east Pa Inner and outer paved ovals Thank you Bing

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
          Guy,
          Please add Llanymynech,Wales 1/9/13 to my list its a dirt oval that raced at this location for the first time this year as the normal track that has run at Meifod since 2008 was unavailable this year.
          this track is right on the english welsh border so much so that the road the track is on, north road,one side is england the other side is wales.
          Colin H

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013
            Bing:

            When Lake Erie opened, the group voted not to count an inner oval at that track.  It was decided that it was an "apron" of the big track and not a distinct inner track.  The difference is that there is no "separation" between the two tracks, in other words, the inside of the main track is the outside of the apron.  The result of this is that the Bandoleros that race on the apron sometimes drift up on the main track on the straights, and the cars that race on the main track sometimes cut down on the apron in the turns.

            Thus, we have always counted only one track at Lake Erie.  Unless what you saw was not racing on the apron, but on a true inner track.  For it to be considered an inner track, there would have to be separation between the two tracks somewhere on the coursesLet us know if that is the case.

            Thanks,