2013 TrackChaser Report #80--Port Royal, PA

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013

      On our way home from Ohio on Labor Day, Pam and I made the annual stop at the Port Royal Fair for the Super Sprint and ARDC doubleheader.  This was the first time in three years that we got to see the races, the past two years they were rained out.  We went to the fair both of those years anyway.

      Parking is free at this fair, and the admission is only $4.  Race admission is an additional $15.  When we arrived, we made a beeline to the Lutheran Church stand, for our traditional turkey dinner and pie.  We ran into pal Lynn "The Action Man" Shaeffer, who videotaped me eating turkey for his racing archives.  Also saw and talked to fellow AARN columnist Chuck Bollinger.

      By the time we were finished, it was almost time for engine warm ups, so we headed inside.  The crowd was OK, but certainly not great.  I sure hope this wonderful fair tradition is not discontinued.  The announcer seemed to hint that they were thinking of doing so, and polled the audience as to their thoughts on the race continuing to be held going forward.  Talk about a skewed sample!  These were the people that had paid $19 to see the show this year.  Of course they would be in favor of having it next year.  Duh.

      A decent turnout of 22 Super Sprints, and a surprisingly strong turnout of 27 ARDC Midgets were in the pits.  The track was in fantastic shape, better than any day show I can ever remember at The Port.  It was amazingly dust free, even during the entire Super Sprint feature.

      They started about 15 minutes late, and there were three heat races for each class.  It was a hot day in the grandstands, and after the heats I scurried out to the fair for snowcones.  The ARDC Midget consie was canceled and in true Economaki fashion decided to "let 'em all go" in the main.

      The Super Sprint race was first and it was a good race with Lance DeWease not only out driving, but also out thinking the competition.  The Midget main was even better.  Kyle Lick, a kid (not really, he's 23 but he's a rookie in Midgets) from Pam's hometown (and where we lived for 15 years) of Catasauqua, led lap one, then didn't lead again until lap 18 in winning the 20 lap feature, beating ARDC's finest.

      It was great seeing Kyle win, and I was also happy to see Keith Kauffman run one last time.  I had been watching KK run since the middle 1970's.  I was disappointed Fast Freddy was a no show.  The crisp, no-junk show was run in well under three hours.  A good thing too, as we ran into a lot of rain on the way home.

      My week worked out as planned, even with a full week of work it included West End Fair Monday, West End Fair with races Wednesday, Allentown Fair Thursday, High School football Friday, races Saturday afternoon, races with two tracks Saturday evening, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Sunday afternoon, minor league baseball Sunday night, and Port Royal Fair and races on Monday.  No wonder Williams Grove announcer Bruce Ellis recently told me he wishes he had my energy.

      I'm planning on keeping it, as I might soon need it more than ever.  On top of my new ELLevate program at school, things are about to get even busier for me.  But for this weekend, it will be business as usual, as Pam and I head to North Carolina with my targeted new track being the Saturday evening fair race at the Iredell County Fair, a track that has only run during the week in the past, preventing my attendance.  Looking forward to what might very well be my final fair race of the year.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 49
      / Pam 35

      2013 Events-- Guy
      76 / Pam 45
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy
      77 / Pam 46
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy
      4 / Pam NA

      Lifetime Total Tracks--Guy 1,5
      26 / Pam 872
    • snakeyk1usa
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013
        Good luck with the big project. Glad to help when you need it. Mike Knappenberger