2013 TrackChaser Report #79--Lake County F8, OH

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2013

      Saturday's event was a two-for-one show with racing on both the oval track and the figure-8 track. As Lake County Speedway is "Northeast Ohio's Home for Figure-8 Racing", this is the case almost every Saturday night. After 23 races on the oval, it was time for the one race on the F8 track.

      This would be my fourth time at the facility, but only second to see figure-8 racing. In that first visit in 1989 with Gordy Killian, we did not stay to see the figure-8 feature. That was before the group would have counted that type of F8 course as a different track. In my second visit with Pam and her parents, we also did not stay for the F8 race. When Gordy and I returned in 2002, it was specifically to see the F8 race, so we finally added that track variation. So visit four to the oval would be visit two to the F8 for me.

      The Figure-8 division had already raced in a trophy dash, a heat race, and a pursuit, but those were on the oval track. Only the feature was on the 8. The track is typical of several in Ohio, with the "X" through the infield of the oval, using the same turns. They watered the track before the race, but it really did not seem to have too much effect.

      The nine cars took the green for the 20 lap feature at about 10:15. By 10:30, it was all over as the race runs without yellow flags and they did not have any red flags. As our favorite local ice cream stand was just minutes away and open until 11:00, we ended our evening with a cone.

      It was an interesting evening of racing, as up until two days before the race I had no intention of going to Lake County. The original plan was to go to Stateline, NY. But the hotels in Jamestown were double the price of those near Painesville, so we changed directions.

      On Sunday I thought about Wayne County Speedway for the All Star Sprints, as I had not been there in a long time and Pam had never been there. But after seeing racing Wednesday, Saturday, and plans for more on Monday, we decided to go for a new baseball team instead. After an afternoon at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, we took in a game for the Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League. I've now been to all of the pro baseball teams in Ohio except for the Toledo Mud Hens and the Mahoning Valley Scrappers. We haven't seen the new stadium for the Columbus Clippers yet, nor has Pam seen the Cleveland Indians, as both of my visits there (old and new ballparks) were with Gordy.

      On Monday we would stop at one of my favorite events, the Labor Day Classic at the Port Royal Fair.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 49 / Pam 35
      2013 Events-- Guy 75 / Pam 44
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 76 / Pam 45
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 4 / Pam NA