3 new tracks

  • dalezoom
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hello trackchasers ...

      I found some time during a week off to get away and add three tracks to my list. I didn't expect to get as far as New England but a sagging cold front brought a flash flood watch to West Virginia and I had to change plans.

      After Kokomo for the first night of Sprint Smackdown on Thursday (Bryan Clauson won from 14th), I ended up at I-88 Speedway in New York on Friday. The track looked terrible, hard and dry, but the racing was good. In the mod feature, Darwin Greene used a very high good that no one else would try, charged to the lead and was pulling away only to blow up and Lap 24, the only caution of the race. Shaun Walker took over and won.

      I had been to Afton before only to get rained out, and Saturday I got another one of those been-there-but-got-rained-out tracks, the Waterford Speedbowl. Tyler Chadwick won the SK mod main from ninth in a decent race, but I think Keith Rocco could have won the 50-lap late model main on six cylinders.

      On Sunday I was going to start heading back west until I checked roamingtheraceways.com and was reminded I already had been to Thunder Mountain in New York. So, it was north again, to Legion Speedway in New Hampshire. The sportsman modifieds (Allan Hammond won the feature from 7th) were OK, the other classes not so much.

      The trip was good, but Monday my old camera either fell from the bin in the driver's door of my car or was taken when I had the car's oil changed near Albany. The camera was old and not a big loss, but I lost the pics I took during the weekend. That's still bothering me early Wednesday morning.

      Take care all, and safe travels.

      Dale O.

      Connecticut
      Waterford Speedbowl Waterford paved oval 8-24-2013
      New Hampshire
      Legion Speedway Wentworth dirt oval 8-25-2013
      New York
      I-88 Speedway Afton dirt oval 8-23-2013
    • Bruce A. Spencer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
        Dale,

        I was at Legion as well, and I concur with your assessment.

        Thanks,
        Bruce

[...]

        IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:

        This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

      • rpmgordy
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
          A moment of silence please for a trusty photo maker. It served you well.
          Going to join the digital age, Dale?

          Gordy

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
            I would, but I can't find a camera that works with Windows 96.

            Dale O.

            --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, RPMGORDY@... wrote:

            > A moment of silence please for a trusty photo maker. It served you well.
            > Going to join the digital age, Dale?
            >
            > Gordy
            >

            > In a message dated 8/28/2013 2:28:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > dalezoom@... writes:
            >
            > Hello trackchasers ...
            >
            > I found some time during a week off to get away and add three tracks to my
            > list. I didn't expect to get as far as New England but a sagging cold
            > front brought a flash flood watch to West Virginia and I had to change plans.
            >
            > After Kokomo for the first night of Sprint Smackdown on Thursday (Bryan
            > Clauson won from 14th), I ended up at I-88 Speedway in New York on Friday.
            > The track looked terrible, hard and dry, but the racing was good. In the mod
            > feature, Darwin Greene used a very high good that no one else would try,
            > charged to the lead and was pulling away only to blow up and Lap 24, the only
            > caution of the race. Shaun Walker took over and won.
            >
            > I had been to Afton before only to get rained out, and Saturday I got
            > another one of those been-there-but-got-rained-out tracks, the Waterford
            > Speedbowl. Tyler Chadwick won the SK mod main from ninth in a decent race, but I
            > think Keith Rocco could have won the 50-lap late model main on six
            > cylinders.
            >
            > On Sunday I was going to start heading back west until I checked
            > roamingtheraceways.com and was reminded I already had been to Thunder Mountain in
            > New York. So, it was north again, to Legion Speedway in New Hampshire. The
            > sportsman modifieds (Allan Hammond won the feature from 7th) were OK, the
            > other classes not so much.
            >
            > The trip was good, but Monday my old camera either fell from the bin in
            > the driver's door of my car or was taken when I had the car's oil changed
            > near Albany. The camera was old and not a big loss, but I lost the pics I took
            > during the weekend. That's still bothering me early Wednesday morning.
            >
            > Take care all, and safe travels.
            >
            > Dale O.
            >
            > Connecticut
            > Waterford Speedbowl Waterford paved oval 8-24-2013
            > New Hampshire
            > Legion Speedway Wentworth dirt oval 8-25-2013
            > New York
            > I-88 Speedway Afton dirt oval 8-23-2013

            > Shortcut URL to this page:

          • dalezoom
            Message 5 of 10 , May 26, 2014

              Hello trackchasers,

              My original plan for  the weekend was to stay in the Northeast, and try for Accord, Lime Rock-Airborne, Cornwall and Utica-Rome. But I didn’t like the forecast and headed south.

              On Friday, I was at Kingsport Speedway, and for the first time this season, kept the jackets in the car. Nineteen late model stock cars were on hand, and even though five were inverted, Lee Tissot led all the way in the nonstop 60-lapper that probably could have used a yellow. The pure 4 race was a good one, though. Well run show done about 10.

              On Saturday, it was Fayetteville Motor Speedway in North Carolina. I was here in 1998 on back to back days when they kept having hot laps until it rained. After my anger eased, I realized that probably was the plan … have a rainout because few people were in the stands. All these years later, they still like hot laps because they gave all four divisions two sets on this night. That, plus other prerace hoohah pushed the starting time sometime past 9. This was the second day of a two-day show and all they had to run was four features, but the late model featch ended just before midnight. Shaun Harrell led the late model main (23 cars) all the way, but there was a pass for the lead in the modifieds (Russell Erwin topped the 15-car field).

              The reason I drove across North Carolina was to set myself up for Sunday … the KOMA Modified Madness Tour event at Coastal Plains Raceway Park in Jacksonville, NC. I really wanted to see the mods at a track in eastern NC that I never thought I’d get. This was a strange one. The odd-shaped track was so hard on tires, guys immediately headed toward the back like Cup drivers at Talladega. And there were only 11 cars in the field, so the 125-lapper went without a caution. Pole-sitter Spencer Davis led, then Jeremy Mayfield charged ahead, then Davis repassed him. Then what I assume were mandatory pit stops started (even though they were babying the tires, most still changed the right rear) and I had to rely on the scoreboard. When the last guy to pit finally came in in the final laps, it looked like Burt Myers took the lead and won. But apparently the computer was confused, too, because now the winner is David Calabrese. Still, I’m glad I went. Two Legends races (7 cars) and a 50-lapper for mini-stocks (14 cars) were also on the card. Racing started a 6 and ended about 8:30.

              Dale O.

              North Carolina

              Coastal Plains Raceway Park paved oval Jacksonville 5-25-2014

              Fayetteville Motor Speedway dirt oval Fayetteville 5-24-2014

              Tennessee

              Kingsport Speedway concrete oval Kingsport 5-23-214

            • BHICKEYJR@...
              Message 6 of 10 , May 27, 2014

                    On Thursday, I arrived at US 30 Speedway in Columbus NE. The show started right on time at 8pm with a prayer and then the National Anthem, complete with a flyover of two WWII fighters. The heats for the weekly divisions were run off very quickly, with a short intermission. The features also moved along well, with entertaining and competitive racing in all divisions. The show would have been completed before 10pm, if it were not for two red flags for flips. All in all a very good, well run show.

                  Saturday evenings entertainment consisted of the North West Pro 4 tour , super streets and bombers racing on the outer oval, and hornets running on the smaller oval of the Magic Valley Speedway, in Twin Falls ID. The smaller oval used turns 3 and 4 of the larger oval, then turns into the infield coarse after the start/finish line and re-enters the outer oval on the backstretch. If the larger track is a 1/4 mile, then I would estimate the smaller track around 1/6th. The car counts were low, but the racing was very good.

                 On Sunday, my quest was to add Sunset Speedway to my list, and remove Oregon from my list of 50 states to see a race in. With the forecast going from zero percent chance of rain at the beginning of the weekend to only 30% on Sunday morning, I was still optimistic. Downpour Speedway, would have been a more fitting name this day, the closer I got to the track, the more race cars I past going in the opposite direction. Oh well, it's nice to still have goals.

                See ya at the track!
                Brian

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2014
                  Friday, Toledo Speedway held their annual "Fastest short track show in the World". The MSA Super Modifieds and winged Super Sprints, put on a very good show running on the paved 1/2 mile oval.

                  Saturday, Randolph County Raceway, in Moberly, MO. hosted the MLRA dirt Super Late-model tour. Over 30 SLM's competed for only 24 starting spots. As you would expect the 3 SLM heat races were very competitive and did not disappoint. Both the A-mods and B-mods had single file lackluster heats. All three features started off slow with multiple cautions but all ended with exciting close quarters finishes.

                  Sunday, Dawson County Raceway put on a very well run ultra competitive regular Sunday evening racing event, on a very well prepared dirt oval. They must know what their doing,as they had both large car counts and a packed grandstand.

                  See ya at the track
                  Brian

                   TrackChasers:

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 18, 2014
                    OH, MO and NE. Our truck driver is on the move.

                    Gordy

                    Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 18, 2014
                      Got to Keep on Rollin

[...]

                      Posted by: RPMGORDY@...
                    • Edward M Corrado
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2014
                        I had non-racing plans on Friday evening andSaturday afternoon so I couldn't go far but I still managed three new tracks. On Saturday after a graduation party in New Jersey I hightailed it to Shellhammers. I got there at about 9pm, just in time to see the Slingshot feature. I also saw an adult champ kart feature, a rookie champ kart feature, and a few flat kart races. My abbreviated time at the track was enjoyable and I hope to get there for a mid-week micro-sprint show later this year.

                        On Sunday morning I went to the SCCA Majors event at Summit Point Circuit at Summit Point Motorsports Park in West Virginia. The first race on the agenda was the Spec Racer Ford division which is my favorite to watch. The race was not a disappointment as the top 3 swapped positions almost every lap during the 25 lap affair. Next on the agenda was a race composed of various formula cars. While not as good as the Spec Racer Ford race it was also a good race.

                        I then decided to head to another road course. This time it was the Oreville Kart Club to see microstocks on the road course. Also racing in countable events were micro stocks and Sr. Champ Karts on the oval but that was not a new track. The gearing was way too high coming off of turn 5 on most of the microstocks which at times made for an interesting drag race around turn 6 and to the start/finish line.

                        Edward