RE: [TrackChasers] Last Race At Canaan Asphalt This Weekend

  • Bruce A. Spencer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
      The same fate… finito…

      There is show scheduled for Saturday, October 19th on the dirt.

      Thanks,
      Bruce

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
        I have never seen a race at either Cannan Fair Speedway track. I saw this earlier this week on the AARN cover-preview. I haven't read the AARN article yet though because I didn't get the paper yet and I haven't signed up for the digital edition yet. Well, I just sent them my info, so I guess next week I will be able to get the digital edition. Anyway, I plan on going to the race this Saturday. I am going to be away on Sep 14 so I can't go then. Is anyone else going to try to be at the track this weekend?

        I'd like to get the dirt track this weekend as well, but I doubt I can get there in time on Friday since I have to work until at least 3:00pm and it is a 5 hour ride without traffic. Bruce or anyone else, do you know how long the races typically last on Fridays? If I get there at 9:00 pm will I actually be able to see anything? I probably will just plan to come back for the show in October.

        Since this is a new change in plans for me and I haven't done my homework yet, if anyone knows of any special Saturday afternoon or Sunday (Afternoon or evening) races I might be able to catch, I wouldn't mind any tips.

        Edward
      • terrapin44
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
          In the answer my own question category, I've found a few options for Sunday in NH. Hudson Speedway is running starting at 1:03 (I'll be interested to see if they actually start at 1:03). About 1.5 hours away, Star is running starting at 5pm. I'd still like other options though. I also see Seekonk (MA) has a thrill show on Sunday that includes an Enduro and a figure 8 race. Other options are still appreciated.

          I see Hudson runs a "Flagpole race" every Sunday, is this countable as a different track than the oval? They basically run the oval but have to circle a tire on the front stretch. [1] I see that some Trackchasers have a mixed surface Figure 8 listed but I don't know if this would qualify as the same as a Figure 8 track (it looks like the track did/does have a traditional mixed Figure 8) or the same as the oval. I am assuming it would be the same as a Figure 8 (and not a third configuration) but I am not positive.

          Edward

          [1] A video can be seen at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5U8ctN7wIM

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
            Many mooms ago, Flagpole races were decided to be considered as a regular race on the oval and not a different track.

            In the answer my own question category, I've found a few options for Sunday in
            NH. Hudson Speedway is running starting at 1:03 (I'll be interested to see if
            they actually start at 1:03). About 1.5 hours away, Star is running starting at
            5pm. I'd still like other options though. I also see Seekonk (MA) has a thrill
            show on Sunday that includes an Enduro and a figure 8 race. Other options are
            still appreciated.

            I see Hudson runs a "Flagpole race" every Sunday, is this countable as a
            different track than the oval? They basically run the oval but have to circle a
            tire on the front stretch. [1] I see that some Trackchasers have a mixed surface
            Figure 8 listed but I don't know if this would qualify as the same as a Figure 8
            track (it looks like the track did/does have a traditional mixed Figure 8) or
            the same as the oval. I am assuming it would be the same as a Figure 8 (and not
            a third configuration) but I am not positive.

            Edward

            [1] A video can be seen at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5U8ctN7wIM

            --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, "terrapin44" <terrapin44@...> wrote:

            > I have never seen a race at either Cannan Fair Speedway track. I saw this
            earlier this week on the AARN cover-preview. I haven't read the AARN article yet
            though because I didn't get the paper yet and I haven't signed up for the
            digital edition yet. Well, I just sent them my info, so I guess next week I will
            be able to get the digital edition. Anyway, I plan on going to the race this
            Saturday. I am going to be away on Sep 14 so I can't go then. Is anyone else
            going to try to be at the track this weekend?

            > I'd like to get the dirt track this weekend as well, but I doubt I can get
            there in time on Friday since I have to work until at least 3:00pm and it is a 5
            hour ride without traffic. Bruce or anyone else, do you know how long the races
            typically last on Fridays? If I get there at 9:00 pm will I actually be able to
            see anything? I probably will just plan to come back for the show in October.

            > Since this is a new change in plans for me and I haven't done my homework yet,
            if anyone knows of any special Saturday afternoon or Sunday (Afternoon or
            evening) races I might be able to catch, I wouldn't mind any tips.

            > Edward

          • Bruce A. Spencer
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
              Another option for this coming Sunday is Twin State in Claremont NH, formerly Claremont Speedway. They've been running the first Sunday of each month at 4pm so a Hudson/Twin State double is not out of the question. TS is another track that's been on the ropes but Canaan's closing may help them.

              I think your info on Star is a little incorrect, the track is about an hour away from Hudson and is running Saturday night, not Sunday night.

              If you get to Canaan by 9pm you most likely will still catch at least one feature, usually the mod feature is last. Plus the sprint cars are on the bill and it's championship night so everything will be dragged out.

              I'd love to go but I'm already committed to playing at a hoot-n-nanny Friday night. Saturday night is a double feature PASS tour race at White Mountain so that's where I'll be, I've been to Canaan the last two weeks, not sure I could take three weeks in a row.

              Thanks,

              Bruce

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
                Thanks Guy! I am glad I checked before hand since the possibility of getting two tracks may have influenced my decision.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
                  Thanks Bruce, after seeing your post and Mike's post about going to Legion I think I got Legion and Star mixed up at some point. Glad you said something before I went to the wrong track! I am sure the PASS race would be a better choice from a racing standpoint, but not having been to Cannan, it takes precedent.

                  Edward