Final week of PA trackchasing

  • towbarsunlimited
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2013
      On Wednesday I had the good fortune to meet up with Jeff Sands at the
      Lawrence County Fairgrounds. I had never seen a figure 8 on such a narrow
      temporary track. There were about 35 4 cylinder cars. 5 heat races taking 1,
      then 3 last chance heat races taking 1 for a total of 8 in the feature. Very
      entertaining as the smallest car ended up winning.

      Friday night Edward Corrado met me at Motordrome Speedway. There were 5
      classes: late models (10), chargers (16), modifieds (8), street stock (10)
      and 4cyl super compact (12). The races started on time and the heats took 45
      minutes. As soon as one class finished the next was on the track and taking
      the green immediately except for the late models which had an extra lap to
      put some heat in their tires. The top 2 late models ran side by side for
      the first 20 laps of the 40 lap feature. There wasn't an intermission and
      the whole show was over in less than 2 1/2 hours. It was nice being joined by
      Edward and meeting him. Always nice to put a face with a name.

      Saturday afternoon I was sitting in the parking lot of Roaring Knob
      watching the Nationwide race on tv. Doesn't get much better when you can watch a
      race while waiting for the track where you are at to start their races.
      Quite a place, nice views, lots of grass but severe lack of signage. On the
      road in you come to a Y where there probably used to be a sign. The road could
      use some grading.
      Very nice setup with terraces where you can park and tail gate and other
      terraces where you can place your lawn chairs.
      Hot laps started about 10 minutes late. Heat races lasted over an hour.
      Intermission had kids bike races and lasted about half an hour. Features
      started at 9:15.
      The street stock feature had time called as they only made about 5 laps.
      There were: 18 street stock, 14 4 cyl Roadrunner, 14 chargers, 22 super
      late models, 20 Rush crate late models and 8 e mods.
      Apparently there is only 1 wrecker and it had to be pushed started at
      times. Took about 15 minutes to get a late model off of the track.
      Over Labor Day weekend they are planning a $20k to win late model race. I
      hope they get more wreckers that will start by then.
      I went into the motorhome at 11:15. There were still 2 features and a
      mechanics race to run.
      A nice facility but too many classes like most. Vince