2013 TrackChaser Report #65--Plymouth Speedway (Outer), IN

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 5:53 AM

      We woke up on Saturday in Terre Haute. After a great walk on the beautiful campus of Indiana State University and lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings right across from the fairgrounds and the Action Track, Pam and I both agreed that Terre Haute might be some place we could retire to. Perhaps Bruce and Pat won't be the only TrackChasers to retire to Indiana some day.

      As reported yesterday, on Saturday evening Pam and I went to the Plymouth Speedway to see two tracks at one facility. Yesterday I reported about the inner dirt oval, which is in its second year. Last year it was the only dirt oval at the facility and ran Saturday nights.

      The main track at Plymouth is a 3/8th mile track that dates back to 1952. It actually started as an "oil and stone" surface track, but after two weeks was paved. It remained a paved track through 2012. There was also a paved Figure-8 track as well.

      Last year when they added the dirt track in the infield, they ran the paved track on Fridays and the dirt track on Saturdays. When they found they did better both car and fan count wise on the dirt, they decided to put dirt on the outer track for 2013 as well.

      Besides the two USAC Mini Sprint tracks that ran on the smaller track, there were three classes that ran on the main track. The two support classes were the Thunder Stocks, there were 12 of those, and the Super Streets, there were 19 of those. The headline UMP Modifieds had a really good field, with 31 cars on hand.

      Plymouth is a very nice facility. It's clean and offers a nice friendly atmosphere for spectators. The crowd was OK, but not great by any means. At intermission, we tried the burgers and fries and they were both good. Pam especially liked the burger as they had an extensive "fixin's" bar with lettuce, onions, mayo, etc.

      It was nice to see a B-Main with 15 cars racing, but I can't understand the logic of taking the one class of the five with a full field and needing a B-Main, and running their four heat races last. That put their B-Main after intermission.

      Anyway, it's always good to get that little bonus of two new tracks in one night at the same facility. This was the third time that happened for me this year, first at Tri City, MI; at Salem, IN; and now at Plymouth.

      Sunday was spent driving home as Pam was giving her oral final exams at Bloomsburg all day Monday and Tuesday.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 42 / Pam 29
      2013 Events-- Guy 62 / Pam 35
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 63 / Pam 36
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 5 / Pam NA