Re: [TrackChasers] 2013 TrackChaser Report #61--Sandusky Speedway, OH

  • rpmgordy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2013
      Guy,

      You forgot the weekend Team Defiance was born. You, Kevin and I hit 5
      tracks in a 24 hour period. Fremont and Sandusky on Saturday night, with
      Michigan, Millstream and Bryan on Sunday. Those were the days.

      Gordy

      In a message dated 7/27/2013 10:16:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      RTRYFBAR@... writes:

      :

      How can you beat Sprint Cars for a buck??? On Thursday, Sandusky had the
      first night of their three-night Hy-Miler Nationals. The Supermodifieds
      would not race until the next day. It was "fan appreciation" night and
      admission, as well as hot dogs, soda, and beer, were all just one dollar.
      Sounds like the place to be.

      This would not be my first time at Sandusky, or even my second or third.
      Off the top of my head, I think this was my sixth. Still a race fan.
      Virginia Schuler and I stopped there for an ICAR Sprint race on Memorial Day
      of 1982 on the way home from the Indy 500. That race was won by Marvin
      Carmen. My second stop was with Kevin Eckert and Johnny Gibson on New Year's
      Day for the Hangover race. We stopped there on our way to Indiana for
      indoor USAC Midgets. Another Sandusky trip was with Gordy Killian for ASA Late
      Models. That was one of those Bobby Allison appearance where he ran a
      dozen laps, parked it, and left the track before halfway. Pam and I went there
      in 2007 to see the Champ Karts race on the infield dirt oval, and met Norm
      Wagner at the track that day. Then Mike and I stopped there a couple of
      years back on a very cold early season Saturday night, while on the way to a
      Sunday afternoon race in Ohio. That was dollar night too, but a much much
      smaller crowd wa
      s on hand then. This would be Pam's first time to see the paved track.

      Roland tried to go to Sandusky the week before, and the races were
      canceled due to flooding. Roland was at the track, and reported that this was no
      phantom cancellation, the place was underwater. Only five days later they
      were racing, and the track owner said they pumped out 3.7 million gallons
      of water. Parking was at a premium, due to the many campers that roped off
      huge areas and the many areas that were still too muddy to use. Throw in a
      huge crowd for dollar admission night, and a total lack of parking
      attendants to organize the parking, and you have a mess.

      They had a great crowd for the races, but Sandusky has so many seats that
      when Pam and I went down to the last set in turn one, there was still
      plenty of room there, even on the top row. It was tough to get the dollar dogs,
      as the crowd bought they faster than they could make them. I bought two
      each for us, and the guy selling them said he has gone through 600 and that
      was before the sprints even raced. And he was just one of several
      locations selling the dogs.

      They were supposed to race at 7:00, but started a half hour late. Not
      smart on a work night. Not everyone was camping there all weekend. The
      delays was because they had a second round "last chance" time trial qualifying
      for the late arriving cars. Making the three thousand fans that showed up
      on time wait for the three or four cars that came late did not seem like a
      smart idea to me. It's not like all the cars wouldn't be in the feature
      anyway.

      There were four divisions racing. The Buckeye Super Sprints that race at
      Sandusky and Columbus were the top class and they had 13 cars. They are a
      pavement 305 ci group. There were also three classes of merrry stockers,
      including Street Stocks, Ohio Stocks, and Hobby Stocks. The four cylinder
      Hobby Stocks had the most cars, but still only in the mid teens.

      The three stocker classes had trophy dashes for the top four qualifiers.
      The Street's and Ohio's only had one heat and a feature, while the Hobby's
      and the Super Sprints had two heats and a feature. The sprints did not run
      a dash.

      During intermission they brought out some vintage cars, including old
      Modifieds, Supermodifieds, and Sprint Cars, for an exhibition race. It was
      good to see the old Johnny Logan #99 on the track again. I saw that one race
      at Toledo with Sleaze a long time ago.

      The night had a total 13 races. Can't beat that for a dollar. It was
      good to see Sandusky again, a classic speedway that's been around for a long
      time. It was good to see a huge crowd in the old grandstands, even if it
      did take dollar admission, perfect weather, and the biggest racing weekend at
      the track for it to happen.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 39 / Pam 25
      2013 Events-- Guy 59 / Pam 32
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 59 / Pam 32
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 5 / Pam NA

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2013
        Gordy:

        That's right. I took a rock in the forehead at Fremont and was dazed and confused the rest of the evening. We did indeed stop at Sandusky for a couple of races after Fremont. I did forget that one. Thanks.

        That makes seven racing visits to Sandusky. And I still have never seen Supermodifieds there (although now I can claim both winged and wingless sprint cars).