2013 TrackChaser Report--Keystone QMA Speedway

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2013

      On Tuesday evening I headed to Schnecksville, PA for the weekly Quarter Midget races. Quarter Midget racing is big in my area. Even though Keystone is less than an hour from my house, it is only the fourth closest track to me (Pocono, West End, and Blue Mountain are all within 40 minutes). I've always enjoyed the Quarter Midgets, since my parents took me to the old track west of Allentown when I was a kid. Everytime I go to one of these races I say I should go to more of these events.

      The reason I went this past Tuesday was to meet one of the newer members of our group, Vince Sadowski. This is Vince's second year of having his tracks listed on my website. Vince is from Florida, but is retired and spends his winters in Arizona and summers on the road. He doesn't get to a lot of new tracks because he basically follows the same route each year. This week he is staying in a mobile home park in Palmerton, and is hitting some of the tracks very close to my house (Schnecksville, Kutztown, Snydersville, Mahoning, and Oreville). I easily found Vince in the small bleachers and we had a nice evening together at the races. It's always good to meet one of the group in person for the first time, and I can truly say I have a new friend. Check out Vince's interesting track list on the website.

      The Keystone facility is located on the grounds of the Volunteer Fire Department and is a very nice place. They did have some trouble with the local government trying to shut them down, but they are still there and I haven't heard much about that recently. Admission is always free. The small oval is dirt, and they get a nice turnout on Tuesdays, this week they had 63 cars in too many classes. The most cars they race at a time is eight.

      The fire department runs the refreshment stand and it is excellent. Great food at great prices. Plus it goes for a good cause.

      Racing was supposed to start at 6:30 but they were about a half hour late. Tonight it was a features only show, which I liked. It was also "Christmas in July", which meant a lengthy break when Santa arrived on a firetruck.

      It was great to see old friend Leroy Bogert, now track photographer. He replaced real old friend (from my neighborhood when I was a kid) Scott Peters who was the old track photographer. Starter Bobby Stull was there as well.

      One great thing at the track is the scoreboard. It counts down the laps, gives the running order, and also the time left for the race. All races are on a time limit. The smaller kids run 20 laps or 12 minutes, the older 25 laps or 15 minutes.

      Everything about the place is nice. The lighting is good, the seating is good, and announcer is good. Most importantly, the racing is good. Vince and I stayed for the entire show, which ended just a tick after 9:30.

      There was nothing about this evening at the races that wasn't good, especially meeting Vince. I got to count this track a few years ago when they had an adult Handler's Race. We had a nice group of TrackChasers there that day. I don't see a Handler's Race on the schedule for this year though.

      Some years I make it to Schnecksville, other years I do not. I have to try harder to make sure I visit at least once every year. It's stupid of me not to. A great evening, made better by meeting a new TrackChaser friend. For Wednesday, I passed Vince of to Mike to sit with at Kutztown. Hopefully they had a good time together as well.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 39 / Pam 24
      2013 Events-- Guy 58 / Pam 31
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 58 / Pam 31
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 5 / Pam NA