2013 TrackChaser Report #60--Schenley Park, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2013

      On Sunday morning Pam and I left Athens, OH and headed to Pittsburgh for the annual Vintage Grand Prix in Schenley Park. We would meet Roland, who was on his final race day of his North American tour before returning to Canada on Monday and then to Belgium on Tuesday..

      Pam's friend Paula, who is originally from England, lives only a block from the race location, so we planned to meet there. Last year, Paula and her husband went to the race with us. This year they were out of town, but gave us the key to their house and told us to enjoy ourselves. I put my car in their garage. Roland had Mike's GPS, and he navigated to the house as well and we put his car on a neighbor's lot and the three of us walked to the race.

      I love this event. This was my fourth time at this race. The first time I went with Gordy and Will. The second time I took Mike. Last year I finally took Pam. This year we were with Roland. I am hoping that this is not my last visit. I love this event.

      Edward Corrado had gone the previous day for the qualifying races. This is the only event I can ever recall where the qualifying races are longer than the feature races. The qualifiers are ten laps or 25 minutes, with the features being eight laps or 20 minutes.

      We like to watch by the start and finish line, where you can see the cars grid for the next event. Being as the race is in a public park, there is no admission charge. You can even enter the paddock at any time without charge.

      Upon arrival, the three of us met up with Mike and Jeff. Jeff was coming off another three-track TrackChasing weekend as he continues his assault on 200. Roland returned Mike's GPS. They only watched the first race, as Jeff was on second shift and had to work that evening.

      Roland was enjoying the event to the fullest. This is right up his alley. In fact, just about everyone I take there enjoys it so much they plan on coming back. When Roland began his current North American tour, he had as many as 18 new tracks planned. Knowing that some would be rained out or canceled, he said he didn't care how many he ended up with, but that he really wanted to see the following five" 1) Mont Tremblant, 2) Schenley Park, 3) Chaudiere, 4) Saint Croix Riverside, and 5) Terre Haute. Today completed the five for Roland.

      We watched the first three features and then took a long stroll through the paddock. At that point, Roland wanted to head out, as he planned on visiting Eriez Speedway that evening. If successful, he ended his trip with 14 new tracks.

      Pam and I left at that point as well. We said goodbye to Roland, but not before making early tentative plans to meet up later in the year at our seventh different country for 2013. Roland is also hoping for another North American trip later this year as well, but it is unlikely we will be able to meet up during that one.

      By 8:00 we were home, another wonderful weekend together in the books. Everything worked out perfectly except for the two hour rain delay on Friday evening cost Roland and Pam the Legendary Hilltop Speedway for this trip. I turned my attention to figuring out how to best meet up with Florida's Vince Sadowski during the coming week.

      Looks like Ohio and Indiana is on the plan for this weekend for Pam and I. Looking forward to it, as always.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 39 / Pam 24
      2013 Events-- Guy 58 / Pam 31
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 58 / Pam 31
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 4 / Pam NA