2013 TrackChaser Report #58--191 Speedway, KY

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2013

      On Saturday Pam and I headed to Kentucky for racing at the 191 Speedway. The track is located near Campton in Hazel Green, which reminded me of our trip to the Tipperary Raceway in Ireland, located in Rose Green. It is not an old track, having opened near the end of the 2009 racing season.

      They have no listed event starting time whatsoever, except that gates open at 3:00 and the driver's meeting is at 5:30. We arrived at 5:30. Admission was $12. You pay at the bottom and then drive up a very steep hill to the parking area. There were a fair number of both cars and fans on hand.

      They were in no way planning on starting the driver's meeting at the stated time, so we sat around for over an hour. The spectator area is tiered. We were on the top tier, where there was a small set of grandstands. One level down was the main seating area and also the refreshment stand. I think more fans sit on lawn chairs on flatbeds than use the actual seating. That is certainly the case on the top level.

      The track itself is excellent. It's a small quarter mile, or a big fifth of a mile. It's wide and banked, and the morning showers left the track in perfect condition. Very racy, multi-grooved, and dust free. Even though they have six divisions, and on this night had three features to complete from the week before plus bike races for the kids, they were in no hurry to move the show along.

      Eventually they had the driver's meeting, followed by warmups. Time trials were held for the top two classes, the Late Models and the Modifieds. The racing began with the three features from the week before. First up were the Limited Late Models. Robbie Perkins beat a seven car field in the 20-lapper. The second race was for the Bombers, also 20 laps. That had even fewer cars, with only five cars. The third and final makeup feature was for the Stock Four Cylinder class. That one had the largest field of the three classes by far, with 15 cars. The good thing about the three makeup mains was that the top two classes, Late Models and Modifieds, were not involved. That means they ran them at the beginning of the feature order the week before.

      After the three makeup features, it was already after 9:00 and they had not yet started this week's show. But first they had to have the bike races for the kids. So before they even started racing for this week, it was 9:30.

      Each class had heat races and a feature race. The car count in the headline Late Model class was pathetic, with just five cars. I read later that only four ran the feature. The Modifieds had a half-decent turnout with 17 cars and 14 in the feature. The Limited Late Models had seven with six in the feature. Bomber car count was up significantly from the five cars in the makeup main, with 12 total cars and 11 in the feature. There were six cars in the Modified Four Cylinders with five in the feature. Finally, there were 21 Stock Four Cylinders with 18 in their feature, the largest field of the night. Interesting that all six divisions had cars that could not make it to even start the main.

      The total car count was 68 cars in six classes, an average of 11.3 cars per class. Having seen three classes run their makeup features early in the show, we did not stay for the regularly scheduled main events, so I can not report when this show was finally put to bed, but it had to be pretty late.

      Overall a very nice track that could use tighter organization and some more cars in the key divisions. It's hard to put a happy dance spin on the fact that the top class feature had a trophy-dash sized field. Still, I actually enjoyed it more than I was expecting, probably because we knew when to hold 'em, and new when to fold 'em.

      On Sunday Pam and I drove home, arriving well before dark with another nice weekend spent together enjoying the hobby. An odd side note is that on Friday we went to a race in Tennessee and stayed in Virginia, while on Saturday we went to a race in Kentucky and stayed in West Virginia.

      This coming weekend is the day that Pam is guest professor at Ohio University and teaches her one credit class all-day Saturday. The university puts us up in a hotel in Athens for the weekend. On the day of the class, I usually take off solo and find a new track somewhere in Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana. That's pretty much what I have planned again this year, track to be determined based on the weekend weather. I have options. We also have a new baseball team penciled in, and plan to again meet up with Roland as he finishes up his North American Tour. Should be another great weekend. Can't wait.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 38 / Pam 24
      2013 Events-- Guy 56 / Pam 30
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 56 / Pam 30
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 4 / Pam NA