Summit Point Raceway

  • towbarsunlimited
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 9:16 AM
      Saturday AM I made the trip down to Summit Point for the SCCA club races.
      The entrance fee was $25 which seems like a lot. If you waited till after 10
      PM Saturday night the charge was $15. I assume they raced all Saturday
      afternoon and all day on Sunday. It looked like it could rain at any minute
      and actually did mist some. I had a whole grandstand to myself.
      No telling how many cars or classes were on hand. I walked thru the
      "paddock" and there were maybe 40 Mazda's which seemed to be the most popular
      class. Also Volvo's, Pinto's, BMW's, Datsun Z cars, baby Grand National and
      Legends set up for road racing. A Formula Ford spec class and various open
      wheel cars were in attendance.
      Since I made my living working on VW's I talked to the owner of the only
      Formula Vee. He told me there used to be about 25 in the club but since this
      SCCA region made them race with much faster cars the others all dropped
      out.
      It was interesting but probably more confusing than kart racing.
      Next weekend Georgetown Speedway if the weather cooperates. Vince