2013 TrackChaser Report #54--Pocono Superspeedway, PA (Day 2)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013

      This past weekend Pam and I stayed home to go to see the Indy Cars return to Pocono for the first time since 1989. An amazing statistic is that this was our fourth straight weekend (actually the fourth straight Saturday) where we had seen a race in a different time zone. I doubt that will ever happen again for us! Of course it wouldn't be hard to drive far enough west to see a race in the Central US Time Zone this Saturday. Nah...

      Saturday, June 15. Panoniaring, Hungary--Central European Time Zone
      Saturday, June 22. Millbrook Beach, Jersey--Western European Time Zone
      Saturday, June 29. Pikes Peak, Colorado--Mountain Time Zone
      Saturday, July 6. Pocono Raceway, Pennsylvania--Eastern Time Zone.

      Today we had my aunt, Virginia Schuler with us. When they announced the Indy Car race last year, right away Gin, a Langhorne Champ Car vet, said right away she wanted to go. So we blocked off this weekend to stay home right and take Gin to Pocono right from the start.

      On Saturday it took us ten minutes to the track. Sunday was a disaster. We headed north on Route 115. Less than three miles from the track, the state police had the road closed going North and made us turn right. Now we were more than six miles from the track. We merged into existing traffic at Long Pond Road. Now all cars coming from the South, where the large Lehigh Valley population center is located, had to travel on the same single lane road. If you were coming up along the front of the track or traveling up past the back of the track, everyone was now coming up the road at the back of the track. I can't see where that makes sense. Don't forget, the only infield entrance is also at the back side of the track. The trip that took us ten minutes on Saturday took an hour and 45 minutes on Sunday. And the crowd wasn't even that big.

      We were so close to missing the start. We sat down just as Fuzzy was giving the command to start engines. The crowd was OK, estimated at 30,000. An internet search gave me a seating capacity of 76,812 for Pocono. Not sure if that is either accurate or current. That was posted in 2009. After the race, I read Pocono officials said the event was a success as they were hoping for 25,000. But I didn't see that until after they announced the crowd of 30,000. They could have set the goal AFTER they knew the result to guarantee a success. Would they do that?

      The weather was supposed to be very hot, in the 90's. But I don't think it got any hotter than the mid 80's so it wasn't so bad. There were 24 cars to start the race. Incidently, USAC and CART are much maligned from their time at Pocono, and the return was much drooled over by the credentialed press, yet this race had the FEWEST starters of any Indy Car race at Pocono.

      We bought general admission tickets for $25 and could sit anywhere on either end of the lower sections. I thought we had really good seats. We could see the track OK, the pit stops perfectly, and could watch any highlights from the big video board they brought in. I can't believe they charged the same amount to see the Indy Car 400 mile race as they charged for the 8-car, 100 mile support race on Saturday. I thought the Sunday price was a good deal, and the Saturday price absurd.

      The race went fast, with only two yellows. The first was on lap 2 when James Hinchliffe hit the wall. The other shunt was when Takuma Sato ran into Ryan Hunter Reay on pit road. I was rooting for Sato, since he was driving Foyt's car. He was running great in the top five, but took himself out with the pit road brain fade. I was also rooting for Eddie Carpenter, a Midget and Sprint veteran, and he finished good in the second half of the top ten on the lead lap. My third driver did the best, with Josef Newgarden finishing fifth for Sarah Fisher. What a travesty that there are more car owners in Indy Car that ran Sprints and Midgets (Foyt, Fisher, Carpenter) than there are drivers (Carpenter).

      i like Indy Car much, much, much better than the fake NASCAR. Just the fact that they don't throw bogus yellows made this race much more enjoyable for me. The Indy Cars fly at Pocono, and the race took just a couple of minutes over two hours with an average speed of over 192 mph.

      The Andretti team sure had a tough day. After Marco dominated every practice session and took the pole, he led most of the first half of the race, only to screw up his pit strategy and spend the last 35 laps stroking to save fuel and finished a very disappointing tenth. They qualified with three cars on the front row. They might have had the top four if their other driver had not crashed in time trials. Yet the Andretti cars finished 10, 20, 21, and 24. The Chip Ganassi Honda's surprisingly swept the top three spots. I've never been a Ganassi fan since as a driver he blamed Rich Vogler for a crash that I thought was his fault more than 25 years ago. Yeah, Chip, Vogler's Army haven't forgotten!

      I did not see Mike, Jeff, or Edward at Pocono, but I did run into Chris Tyrrell after the race. We had a bit of trouble finding the car after the race, but we did not have near as much trouble getting out of the track as we did getting in. We were home before 3:30. I would go to the Indy Car race at Pocono again in the future. My next race would be a trip to Canada to meet up with Roland and Rick Young.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 35 / Pam 22
      2013 Events-- Guy 52 / Pam 28
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 52 / Pam 28
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 4 / Pam NA

    • Bruce A. Spencer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013
        Guy,

        Has anyone heard from Roland, he's supposed to be at Thompson tomorrow night and I'm thinking about going down to meet him.

        Thanks,
        Bruce Spencer

[...]

        IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:

        This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013
          Bruce:

          Oh yeah, we've heard from Roland. Roland started his tour in Quebec on Friday. He was joined by Will on Saturday. Last night (Tuesday), myself and Rick Young met up with him in Ontario. Tonight Bruce and Pat Eckel, Mike Knappenberger, myself, Chris Tyrrel, and maybe a couple of others are supposed to meet up at Kutztown. As of Tuesday night, Roland's trip schedule had not changed at all. He and Mike should be at Thompson tomorrow night.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013
            Guy,

            Thanks, I'll be looking for them.