Hesston and Bedford (PA): Tracks #254 and #255

  • terrapin44
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6 10:31 AM
      This past week I took off from work, as Guy reported, I saw track #253 in Colorado (Pikes Peak Int'l). Unlike Guy, I didn't make I-25 event hugh I initially hoped to. The person I went with want to head back to Boulder where she lives after Pikes Peak so we went back instead of going to see another track. Oh well.

      Anyway, I had a plan to see 3 more tracks this week in PA. The original plane was to see Clearfield PA's Americas Motorsports Park (formally Gamblers Ridge) on Wednesday for winged 410 sprints, Hesston Speedway for the Three State Flyer's Super late model tour, and then either Motordrome for a weekly show or Attica Ohio for a weekly winged sprint car show.

      The plan got off to a rainy start with Americas Motorsports Park cancelling. Although I considered Ramsonville and McKEan County (both tracks I've been to before) I decided to stay home and get some stuff done. On July 4 I drove to Hesston and saw a pretty good Super Late Model show. They had a good number of high quality cars there from PA, Maryland and Delaware. Dan Stone took the victory. The track makes a big deal of their track prep guy, calling him Doctor Dirt. He did a good job making the track racey, but it was a bit dusty.Still, it wasn't too bad and I would definitely go back.

      On Friday I woke up and headed to the Flight 93 Memorial (worth going too although there really isn't a lot there - which is probably a good thing) followed by a trip to Johnstown to ride the Johnstown Inclined Plane funicular. (I am becoming a big fan of funiculars and have ridden them in 5 countries). After hat it was of to Pittsburgh to ride the Monongahela Incline funicular. While posteing pictures of funiculars on facebook, I was informed another funicular at the Altoona Curve. The Altoona Curve one only ran to 6 PM and I still had time but not much, so I quickly head back east and went there. This meant I had a choice of driving back west to Motordrome, or go to an alternative track that was closer an hour closer and was dirt. Being that I enjoyed the Three State Flyer show the night before, I decided to head to Bedford. Incidentally, there is a fourth operating funicular in PA: The Duquesne Incline also in Pittsburgh. I didn't go there this time (I might have but I wouldn't have made the Altoona Curve funicular if I did. I will try to go to it when I go to Pittsburgh for the vintage races in a few weeks.

      Beford Speedway is an old fairgrounds track. It rained earlier so they got off to a 75 minute late start (starting at 8:15). More rains came about 45 minutes to an hour latter and washed out the rest of the show after some limited late models (looked like street stocks or pro stocks to me) and 3 of 4 super late model heats, There was one strong set of storms that wasn't very wide and if the track was maybe 10 miles wither east or west, the rains would have missed the track. Oh well, I should have stuck with Motordrome, but Bedford still made the books. I do plane to go back there and see a full show though as I liked the track and they have some good special shows there including some good super late model series and URC and ARDC.

      Anyway, 3 new tracks in the books this week out of a planned 5. Not bad for me. I'll probably run into a few of you at Pocono for the IndyCar race on Sunday.
    • Guy Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6 10:52 AM
        Greetings from Pocono:

        Edward, Vince Sadowski was also at Bedford last night. See you
        tomorrow, perhaps.

        Guy

        Sent from my iPhone