4 new tracks over the weekend

  • dalezoom
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2013
      Hello trackchasers,
      I had time off over the Memorial Day weekend, so I did some traveling. I thought about going east, but I think I made the right call – at least weather wise – by heading south.
      After the Silver Crown race at the Indy fairgrounds was rained out on Thursday, my first race was Thunderhill Raceway in Summertown, Tenn., for SRRS late models. This is a neat looking, high-banked ¼-mile, but there isn't a lot of racing room and there wasn't a lot of passing. Hot laps didn't begin until after dark, then the late models (27) and limiteds (13) qualified. Riley Hickman won the late model feature from the pole, but he swapped the lead once with outside polesitter Brad Skinner.
      On Saturday, it was to Columbus (Miss.) Speedway for Mississippi State Championship Challenge Series late models. This place was not as steeply banked as Thunderhill , but it was a bit longer and wider and the racing was better. The show also got started earlier and was well run. Chris Wall started on the front row of the featch for 20 late models, but he was slowed by a lapped car on the last lap, allowing Clay Fisher, who started 10th, to get past. The race ended at 10:20, so I stayed and watched the remaining local classes.
      On Sunday, on the other side of Columbus, Magnolia Motor Speedway hosted the NeSmith national tour (49 cars) plus late models (I hate calling them super late models; 27 cars) and a couple of other classes. This place was a bit bigger than Columbus and much flatter; during much of the night, though, there were two distinct grooves, one at the very bottom and one way up high. Scott Dedwylder won the NeSmith 40-lapper from the pole, but he lost the lead for a couple of laps before getting it back. Eric Cooley won the late model main from the pole. Preliminary racing was over at 9:45, but intermission lasted about an hour because there were a bunch of auctions for an area driver battling cancer. The late model feature ended about 11, the NeSmith main about main about 11:40 and the street stock main about 12:10. I left before 5-car ministock main.
      On Monday, the USCS sprint tour (28 cars) was at Clayhill Motorsports in Atwood, Tenn. This is a 1/3-mile with just slight banking. This was the only show of the trip where there were no time trials, and racing started about 7:30. Northerner Joey Moughan started on the pole of the sprint feature and led until spinning by himself. That handed the lead to Derek Hagar, who held off Marshall Skinner and Tim Crawley. The sprint feature ended about 10:40, but I stayed for the modifieds and was in my car about 11:15.
      I think I've written enough, so I won't go into seeing people transferring ducks from a minivan to an SUV in a McDonald's parking lot or dodging a mattress (maybe it was a box spring) that fell from the bed of a pickup.
      Dale O.
      Tennessee
      Clayhill Motorsports Atwood dirt oval 5-27-2013
      Thunderhill Summertown dirt oval 5-24-2013
      Mississippi
      Columbus Columbus dirt oval 5-25-2013
      Magnolia Columbus dirt oval 5-26-2013