Very Interesting Old Time Winter Racing Video

  • Bruce Eckel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2013
      To all,

      Thought this was quite interesting and decided to pass it along for your viewing pleasure. It is an old time winter racing video. Enjoy.

      Bruce

      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2013
        Try this:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7N955sQP4

        With full describe in this event!

        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2013
          Bruce/Richard:

          Great video.

          The race was the Swedish Winter Grand Prix from 1933. It was held at Lake Ramen in the town of Ludvika. The first was in 1931, and the field that year included Rudolf Caracciola. The track was 46 kilometers long and it took over a half hour per lap. The course included both frozen roads and part of the lake. The 1933 race, shown in the video, was won by Per-Viktor Widengren in an Alfa Romeo. The race was held four times in this location, 1931-1933, and again in 1936.

          The race was held one more time, in 1947, but at a different location. That race was at the Rommehead Military Airport, on a much smaller 5.2 km course. Brit Reg Parnell, who you may know as a Formula One racer in the first half of the 1950's, won that one. Reg won some non point F1 races in the 1950's.

          Again, great video.