2013 TrackChaser Report #30--Clinton County, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19 4:51 PM

      On Friday night Mike and I made a local stop at the Clinton County Raceway near Lock Haven, PA. The track is about two hours from home for me.

      I had to wait for Mike to fight rush hour traffic to get from Reading to the Pocono Mountains, and we pushed off at 5:15. A quick stop at a Bloomsburg Burger King for Mike to get double points with a $10 purchase put us ever so slightly behind schedule. We arrived at the track at 7:31 for the 7:30 start and damned if we didn't miss the first lap of the first heat! They started spot on time for sure.

      Admission was $12 which we thought at the time was a little high. We were both impressed with the crowd, it was a lot better than I had seen in my last few visits to the track, and it was a lot better than we were expecting.

      They had six classes racing. We had agreed in advance that since we had two races two states away the following day, we would watch until we saw at least one feature, or until they took an intermission, whichever came first.

      The first class racing were the 600cc Micro Sprints. They had two heats for them, with the car count in the high teens. The track is a little big for them, but they get around good and the racing is decent. We were both disappointed to discover that this class uses the wings at this track.

      Next up were the 250cc Micro Sprints. The car count in this class was solid, in the 20's, and they ran three heats. The track is definitely too big for this little buggers. They should build an inner oval for this class.

      The IMCA Modifieds were a pleasant surprise. They also had over 20 cars, without question more than I expected. I had no idea they had so many of these cars racing here. I wonder if they gained a bunch from the now closed Dunn Hill II.

      The top class was the Super Late Models. Again the turnout was decent with two heats and a total car count in the mid teens. That might not sound like a lot of cars, and on a half mile, it would not be. But Clinton County is small enough that there were enough cars in each class to make for a good show.

      The other two classes were the Pro Stocks and the Four Cylinder Stocks. They also each had a pair of heats and car counts in the teens. Overall, there were basically a hundred cars in the pits, give or take. Clinton County is going well at both the back and the front gate.

      Another thing that impressed me was that the track surface was very nice. The last time I was there for Sprints the track was so dusty it was impossible for me to enjoy the feature, and Pam left in disgust and went to the car. Tonight we didn't see any dust at all in the heat races, and the track was really racy. The cars were not at all in the same groove. There was a lot of dicing and passing.

      We watched 14 of the 20 races. Both Mike and I were impressed with what we saw. I'd say we were both surprised how good it was. After the 14th race they took intermission. We both wanted to see the 600's race, Mike also wanted to see the Late Models and I wanted to see the Modifieds. I thought it best we go as we had a long weekend ahead. Mike held out to see the 600's. But after about ten minutes of them working on the track, no information from the track if the 600's were even the first feature, no movement by any cars to line up for the next race, and it already after 9:00, we made our exit from Clinton County. At this point we were only two hours from my house. We needed to put in some more miles towards getting down the road tonight, and we had both worked a full day in addition to the time already driving and the time at the track.

      A couple of years ago Pam and I went to the Clinton County Fair and they had a midweek "free" to spectators race that night to promote the weekly racing there. I thought that was a wonderful idea and promotion. In looking at the track website, they have the midweek fair race scheduled again this year, but at the standard $12 Friday night rate. Assuming you have to pay fair admission and maybe even a parking charge, this race becomes more expensive than the weekly show. A shame they couldn't figure out a way to keep it low or no cost for potential new fans to come in and out and give it a free test drive.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 17 / Pam 9
      2013 Events-- Guy 30 / Pam 13
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 29 / Pam 13
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA