Watkins Glen and Hummingbird Speedway (Track #251)

  • terrapin44
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2013
      I am not going to break any records for new tracks this year, but I did manage to get to two tracks yesterday (Saturday. May 18), one new and one probably new but I won't count it yet because I'm not sure it is actually new to me.

      Under the new-ish road course rules, I understand that a Trackchaser can count both the long and short course separately at Watkins Glen International. I started of my racing on Saturday at the long course. I have definitely seen racing on the long course before, having seen the IRL IndyCar series there. I think I saw an SCCA race on the short course a few years back when it couldn't count as a different track. The SCCA has been known to race on both courses and I am not 100% positive I saw them racing on the short course and since I don't have a date, I can't even really check. Anyway, I'll wait until I see a race on the short case.

      On the track today was the North American Road Racing Association (NARRA). They had one set of stands open for spectators at no charge, You couldn't see a lot of the track and unfortunately couldn't walk around much which is what I was hoping to do. Still, me and about a dozen of other people got to see some expensive cars race for a while for free, so no complaint. The originally plan was to watch the races at Watkins Glen and then head to Woodhull or Canandaigua to watch some northeast dirt modifieds. However, since I couldn't walk around Watkins Glen, I decided to take off from there earlier then I would have and thus, I looked at other options. The option I choose was Hummingbird Speedway.

      At just over 4 hours away from Binghamton, Hummingbird Speedway in Reynoldsville PA was probably he closest weekly "big car" track I haven't seen a countable race at. The top class is Steelblock Late Models and they don't often have bigger or touring shows, so I haven't had an excuse to go there (I typically choose to go to tracks at a distance when they have bigger shows... Not necessary World of Outlaw type shows, but regional touring series). It took me about 3.5 hours to get there from Watkins Glen.

      I showed up about 6:30 and paid $10 to see a nice sized crowd and the track crew working the relatively flat 1/4 mile track. After I drank a bottle of water and ate a tasty sloppy joe sandwich and fries ($5 for the three items), )I thought to myself "They didn't do warm-ups yet? I'll never get out of here!" But I was wrong, they must have did them pretty early and the invocation started on time at 7:00 pm and the 8 heats for 4 divisions (besides the steelblocks, they had street stocks, pure stocks, and FWD 4 cyl). The heats ended at 8:00 pm and after a 35 minute intermission (in which I caught a driver t-shirt that was flung into the crowd), the Steelblock Late Model feature was first off. I think 12 cars showed up, but only 10 were still left for the feature. Going into the last turn, the leader had a 1/3 of a lap lead. However, instead of riding it out until the checkers, he tried to go under two lapped cars running side by side and he hit the tractor tires on the inside of the track and crashed. He finished last on the lead lap. The race took about 20 min with about a little over a 5 min break for the next race to come out.

      The street sticks were next. Only a couple of cautions and a pretty good race that was over by 9:15. That race was followed by an entertaining pure stocks feature that ended at 9:37. I left at that point with the 4 cylinder feature still to go because I had a 4 hour ride home. Car counts in the other divisions were in the mid- to upper-teens. There were only a few caution flags in each race which kept the show moving along. Overall, the racing was pretty good as well. The 35 minute intermission was a bit long for my tastes, but with the top division finished just over 2 hours into the show and the whole show probably taking 3 hours, there isn't anything complain about. If the track was a bit closer, I'd definitely add it into my rotation of local (under ~2 hours away) that I like to go to.

      2013 stats:
      Races: 10
      Tracks: 9
      States: 4 (NJ, NY, PA, WI)
      New tracks: 5
      Lifetime Trackchaser countable tracks: 251
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2013
        Edward:

        The Indy Cars didn't always race on the Grand Prix Course (Long) at Watkins Glen. The first couple of years they raced on the short course. In fact, when I was there in 1980 to see Bobby Unser win a CART race, they called the short course the "Indy Course". It was the third time the Indy Cars came to Watkins Glen the following year that they added "The Boot" to their circuit.

        The new-ish road circuit counting procedure is not retroactive. Since you saw the long course first, the only way to add the short course is to see a race there in 2011 to present. As that is what you are planning to do anyway, no worries for anyone.

        Good to hear you enjoyed Hummingbird.