2013 TrackChasers Week 17 Summary

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2013

      (Weekly listserve update #122). We are already 17 weeks into 2013. The past week saw another big week for our group of TrackChasers.

      Little Diamond Speedway, PA finally opened after three false starts. Ten different members of our group took advantage of the Thursday evening race and visited the first-ever TC countable race on the inner track at Big Diamond Speedway.

      This was the third week of racing on the oval track at the Oreville Kart Club. The club has added Micro Stocks to the weekly card, and six TrackChasers took advantage of a beautiful spring Sunday afternoon to attend. Pam Smith made it two days in a row, adding Woodhull Raceway in NY the previous day.

      Across the pond, Roland Vanden Eynde had a big week in the Netherlands and Belgium, adding five new tracks bringing his total to 999. Looks like Roland will soon be the next to join the "1,000 Tracks Club".

      I wondered why Chris Tyrrel was not at Little Diamond, but soon found out. Chris was out in Indiana, adding Bloomington and Lincoln Park to his track list. Chris also added the Putnam Park Road Course to his non TC list, as the PCA group on hand did not have wheel-to-wheel racing.

      Dave Garrison's research returned evidence of ten tracks he did not send in with his initial group of tracks. Russ Currie also discovered one track that I had missed from his initial submission. Those tracks have all been added.

      In addition, over 150 dates and notes were added to existing Dave Garrison tracks. Dave becomes the latest of at least ten people to embrace the relatively new opportunity for each person to add notes about their track visits. It's especially great to see newer group members like Dave, Chris Tyrrel, Vince Sadowski, and Russ Currie take advantage of this option to make their track list more complete for themselves and more enjoyable for everyone to read.

      The total for the week was 24 new tracks added from just the past week, 11 others added from before 2013, and one track added in the non TrackChaser countable section. Another bang up week for the group.

      First time new track visits for the year came from Dwight Bucks and Virginia Schuler. They became numbers 31 and 32 for 2013.

      Virginia Schuler's first new track at age 82 moves her into a tie with Sir Stirling Moss as the oldest to add a new track.

      1. Pappy Hough. Pappy attended the indoor TQ show at the New Haven Coliseum in December of 1993, less than a month after his 91st birthday. In researching this topic, I see that track is not on his track list. The Coliseum is not the same as the New Haven Arena on his list. The Arena was demolished in 1974. I know Pappy was there that day as I talked to him. A quick internet search confirmed that fact. The track will be added to Pappy's track list by next week's update.

      2. Chris Economaki. The last time I saw Chris was at the Washington DC race in 2002, and he helped us with his track list that day thanks to Allan Brown. But his last recorded new track was at the NJ Motorsports Park Thunderbolt track in 2008 at the age of 87.

      3. Sir Stirling Moss and Virginia Schuler are still attending races. Moss added Lime Rock Park in 2012 at age 82, and Schuler added Oreville Kart Club oval in 2013 also at age 82.

      We are 17 for 17 in adding new tracks each week in 2013.

      The 24 new track visits from 2013 added last week brings the new track total for this year to 162 by 32 different TrackChasers. That's not enough, we want more!

      2013 WEEK 17 ADDITIONS (APRIL 22 - APRIL 29)

      Thursday, April 25

      Dwight Bucks-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Edward Corrado-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Russ Currie-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Bruce Eckel-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Gordy Killian-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Mike Knappenberger-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Bing Metz-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Guy Smith-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Paul Weisel-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA
      Will White-- Little Diamond Speedway, PA

      Friday, April 26

      Chris Tyrrel--Bloomington Speedway, IN

      Saturday, April 27

      Pam Smith--Woodhull Raceway, NY
      Chris Tyrrel--Lincoln Park Speedway, IN
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Ulrum, Netherlands
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Baarlo, Netherlands

      Sunday, April 28

      Bruce Eckel--Oreville Kart Track (Oval), PA
      Pat Eckel--Oreville Kart Track (Oval), PA
      Virginia Schuler--Oreville Kart Track (Oval), PA
      Guy Smith--Oreville Kart Track (Oval), PA
      Pam Smith--Oreville Kart Track (Oval), PA
      Will White--Oreville Kart Track (Oval), PA
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Lede (Outer), Belgium
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Lede (Inner), Belgium
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Dentergem, Belgium

      2013 SUMMARY

      Total New Track Visits Reported--162

      Number of Group TrackChasers With New Tracks This Year--32

      US States Visited for New Tracks--19 (AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, MI, MS, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OK, PA, SC, TN, TX, WI)

      Canadian Provinces Visited for New Tracks--01 (QC)

      Countries Visited for New Tracks--10 (AUS, BEL, CAN, DEU, FRA, GBR, MAR, NLD, UKR, USA)

      Lifetime Group Total of Reported TrackChaser New Track Visits--35,965 (+35)

      Additional "Non TC Classified Tracks"--147 (+1)

      Different Countries in Which Members Have Seen Racing--74

      The following are welcome at any time for those that would like toimprove the information already contained on their personal tracklisting:

      * Dates to listed tracks
      * Modifications to the track names currently listed
      * Information for the "Notes" column for each track visited
      * Tracks for any of the various "Non TC Classified" categories that are outside of TrackChasers group

      Information in the "Non TC Classified" categories will be updated assoon as possible, with preference always being given to the TC stats.

      All TrackChaser group statistics are available at any time on the developmental version of my website at www.roamingtheraceways.com.

      Please report your new track visits in as timely a manneras possible so that all can enjoy and celebrate the travels of theother members of our group that share our hobby. Continue to submityour ideas for changes or improvements to my website and myYahooGroups! listserve. Thank you.