2013 TrackChaser Report #23--Oreville Oval, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 7:44 AM

      When I was in college the first time at Kutztown State during the early 1980's, Billy Schwoyer and I used to spend our spring Sunday mornings at Reservoir Hill watching the Kutztown Junior Stocks, our Sunday afternoons at Oreville watching the go karts, and our Sunday evenings at Susquehanna watching the Super Sprints, before making the dash to Penn National to try to catch the Modified feature.

      In the mid 1990's when the Champ Kart class was introduced, I managed to see a race at Oreville when the Champs raced on the paved road course, before they realized that the class didn't work too well on road circuits.

      In the past few years, the Micro Stocks made several visits a year to Oreville's road circuit. I wanted to go back and see the Micro Stocks race there and take Pam, but never made it.

      Last year we heard that they were adding an oval track, and that the Micro Stocks would become a weekly division on the oval. I hoped that they would draw some cars, and I could return to Oreville for a new track, but I was not sure how that would turn out.

      On the first week of the 2013 season, Russ Currie went to Oreville and reported nine Micro Stocks and two Champ Karts. In week two, Paul Weisel was on hand and reported four Micro Stocks and two Champ Karts.

      So it was with a dropping car count that we headed to Oreville for week three. Racing was scheduled for 1:00 with a mix of road circuit and oval track classes. There were six TrackChasers on hand. Virginia Schuler added her first new track of 2013, and she was joined by Guy & Pam Smith, Bruce and Pat Eckel, Will White & his mom, plus Jeff Sands. After mentioning him in Monday's post about Little Diamond, Jeff reported that he has now been to 135 different tracks. Add those six to Russ and Paul, and eight of the group have already added the new Oreville Oval track this year.

      Admission to the Sunday afternoon shows is free to spectate. I knew there were no bleachers, and brought lawn chairs for us to sit on. The TC countable classes continued to shrink. The Micro Stocks were down to just three this week, and the Champ Karts down to one. So far, they have had 12 different Micro Stock drivers, but only one has been to all three shows.

      Car counts in all the classes were small. There were 15 different classes. One class had five entries. One had four. Five classes had three entries. Five had two entries. And five classes had one entry. Not enough to have much real racing.

      They started about a half hour late. The Micro Stocks were right about in the middle of the running order. We all enjoyed each other's company on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. After the Micro Stocks raced, everyone else in the group headed out. We were the last to leave, staying until the rest of the classes raced once, then made our exit during intermission.

      It does not look good for the future of the Micro Stocks as a weekly class here. Maybe they will pick up, but so far the trend has not been in a positive direction. They do still have four tour races scheduled this summer at Oreville. I would assume that the car counts would be better for the tour dates.

      Thus ends my racing for the month of April. I kept getting new tracks even when I wasn't trying. In week one I just wanted to take Pam and Mike to Monticello so they could see it, and only found out the day before that they would be racing on the smaller North Course and it would be a new track for me too. The second week Mike and I wanted to go to Kokomo to see USAC Midgets and get one new off-road track, but when the Midgets were canceled we ended up with two new tracks. We returned to Indiana in the third week to try to get two new tracks, and even though the majority of the races in the state were canceled, the two we planned on going to both ran. And in the last week I planned to stay home and not go on any overnight trip, yet I still got to two new tracks. My tally for the end of April is 16 new tracks for the year, still five ahead of last year's total. I'm on a real good pace to be able to reach my goal of 50 new tracks for the year, and leave enough on the table to be able to do it again next year.

      This coming week I am definitely not going to go to any new tracks. My race plan is Little Diamond again on Thursday (hopefully Pam Smith, Pat Eckel, and Chris Tyrrel will join me this week). Snydersville for the Slingshots on Friday. Borger's for the ATQMRA on Saturday afternoon, and if they finish early enough Mahoning for a Modified 100 lapper on Saturday night. If anyone else is going to any of those shows, let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 16 / Pam 8
      2013 Events-- Guy 23 / Pam 9
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 23 / Pam 9
      2013 Additional new Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA