2013 TrackChaser Report #20--Miami County Speedway, IN

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2013

      Last Saturday Mike and I started the day at Purdue University, where the qualifying sprint races for the Grand Prix began in the morning. In the afternoon, we joined Roger Ferrell at the US 24 Speedway in Logansport. US 24 was kind enough to move up their starting time two and a half hours due to the cold. After Logansport concluded, it still was not really dark, so we decided to try for a third track on the day.

      Indiana tracks canceled right and left on this very cold April day, some due to flooding and others due to the cold. But we were lucky as the two tracks that we set off to see both raced. And not only did they race, they gave us the opportunity to add a third track. Only 22 miles from Logansport was the Miami County Speedway in Peru. Both Mike and I had been there before. I had been there in 1988 when the track was called Circus City, Mike was there just last summer.

      I started filming each track in 1982, but from 1982 through 1989 I used Super 8 movie film. It was in February of 1990 that I bought my first video recorder. Since then, I have tried to take ten minutes (more or less) of video at each new track I go to. In addition, I have slowly worked on replacing the filmed tracks from 1982 - 1989 with video. Any tracks that I've been to that I don't have still track pictures or video remain on my HitList in a different section. It's always good when I can get pics or video of a previously visited track while in the area for a new track visit. Since I didn't have video of this track it was a perfect opportunity to get video and knock a third track off the HitList for the day.

      It took a little longer than expected to get to the track, as we encountered a flooded road and had to circle around. We ended up on the right road but going in the wrong direction. Mike, who can't hear half the time, all of a sudden developed super hearing and heard the cars racing in the other direction and he knew we should turn around.

      We arrived in the middle of the features. The track is very similar to the track we just left in Logansport, although a bit flatter. The old wooden covered grandstand is pretty much just like I remembered it 25 years ago. Despite being only 22 miles from Logansport, they run the exact same five divisions of Micro Stocks. At least neither of the two tracks had 15 more classes of flat karts. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Logansport.

      It was amazing that they raced at all, as we sloshed from the parking lot to the track and upon entering, we saw a flooded infield. They were already halfway through the features when we arrived, and were no longer charging admission. The crowd was very small just like at Logansport, they may have had 100 spectators between the two tracks combined.

      We got to see the last two features of the night, both wingless Micro Sprint mains. They were done at 9:45, so they knocked down their show in 2:45, actually faster than the 3:30 it took at Logansport. Good thing too, as by this time it was down to 38 degrees. We didn't get to see a lot of racing at Peru, but it was not the first visit for either of us. We did get a legit triple, add three different tracks for the yearly count, and I got to cross three Indiana tracks off the HitList, albeit the last from the video HitList. We didn't see the first race at all three tracks, but we sure as heck saw the last race at all three. We're still race fans.

      Yet another fun and successful weekend on the road was in the books.

      Next up is attempt number four at Little Diamond. No overnight trips for 20 days, as my 28th school year starts to wind down. As co-advisor of the school yearbook, it's a busy time as we start to pull together the book for this year. And as teacher of a brand new course next year, it falls on me to write the curriculum and choose the textbook.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 14 / Pam 5
      2013 Events-- Guy 20 / Pam 6
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 20 / Pam 6
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA