2013 TrackChaser Report #19--US 24 Speedway, IN

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2013

      After Mike and I left the Purdue University Grand Prix on Saturday afternoon, we headed over to the US 24 Speedway, just an hour away. I had never seen the track before, but Mike had been there in 2008. It used to be a paved track for many, many years. USAC champ Larry Rice raced there at that time. Now it is dirt, and a little larger than it used to be. They did us a big favor by moving the starting time up two and a half hours due to the cold. Indiana pal Roger Ferrell came over to join us at the races for the third time in four weeks, all three times we came out this way. It's always great seeing Roger.

      We missed hot laps but not any of the racing. Admission was $7, and there were fewer than 75 people in the stands. The track itself is a winner, very wide and racy and the outside groove came around nicely. It's a little on the dusty side for the smaller cars that race there. The rest of the place is OK, but a little worn as the track dates back to the 1950's.

      They had five divisions of Micro Sprints. The top class was the winged open class, and they had 10 entries. The wingless class had the biggest field with 11. There were also six restricted wings, six seniors, and four juniors. The senior class is supposed to be for over 40 years of age. Roger said they had more cars the week before, but Miami County Speedway opened up this week with the same show just 22 miles away.

      Each class had a heat, a dash, and a feature except for the wingless class who split into two heats. They were supposed to start at 5:00 but didn't start until 5:30. With no division having a dozen cars, I thought they could have completed the show a little quicker than three and a half hours on such a cold day. But I'm glad we stayed until the end. The wingless feature was excellent, with an outside pass for the lead. And the final race of the day for the winged open class was even better, with a three car, multi-groove battle.

      It was all over by 8:30, and my second new track of the day was in the books. 8:30? What do real race fans like Mike and I do when the show ends at 8:30 on a Saturday night? Why, find another track, of course.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 14 / Pam 5
      2013 Events-- Guy 19 / Pam 6
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 19 / Pam 6
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA