2013 TrackChaser Report #16--Crawford Co. FG (Short Course), IN

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2013

      Last weekend Mike and I planned a return to Indiana for the second time in three weeks. Our plan was to combine a new track on Saturday afternoon with the big USAC/POWRI Midget race at Kokomo, a great track we had both been to many time before, on Saturday night.

      Knowing that we were going to Indiana, I gave a shout out to local members of our TrackChaser group Roger Ferrell of Indiana and our newest group friend, Dave Garrison of Kentucky. Roger had already been to the track, but when he found out Mike and I were coming he decided to join us to hang out for the afternoon before heading to the Jeffersonville Sportsdrome for the evening. Dave originally planned on just Lawrenceburg on Saturday and Anderson on Sunday, but had a change of heart and decided to join us in Marengo as well.

      On tap was a MAORA short course off-road race for Buggies and Trucks. I had never seen MAORA race before, but Mike had seen them twice, with Will in Illinois and with Gordy in Ohio. The Crawford County Fairgrounds is their home base, with three of the eight two-day shows held here. This year's schedule shows 16 races, 8 events, 7 tracks, 5 locations, and 3 states. Last year they also raced in Kentucky at Dirty Turtle, but they have no Kentucky tracks on their schedule in 2013.

      One good thing about the dirt off-road circuits are that the races are usually always in the afternoon, so they don't interfere with going to a regular weekly oval track in the evening. Sometimes, you have to sit through endless mud drags, hillclimbs, obstacle courses, and time trials before you see a real wheel-to-wheel race. MAORA doesn't do any of that other crap. All they do is race. I like MAORA.

      We arrived at 12:30 for the 1:00 show. Admission was $10 and included all access. Being the first weekend of the year, the entries were on the low side. I wasn't sure how many to expect but Roger was disappointed. There were 10 Buggies, but only one Truck. There were several sets of small bleachers, and the local volunteer fire department was fundraising dogs for a buck and burgers for two. The four of us chowed down for charity.

      The show consisted of six races. All races were of equal value, and all were ten laps. There were three rounds of two groups. The three fast Buggies and the Truck raced together, and the other seven Buggies raced together. The most interesting Buggy was a guy from Mexico, who was transferred by his job to Chicago and brought along his Baja desert racer. The same program would be repeated on Sunday.

      We watched four of the six races, and enjoyed some TrackChaser camaraderie. Dave said I must have "corrupted him", which could be the only explanation for him attending an off-road dune buggy show, but I'm pretty sure he was kidding. Actually, he's a great addition to our group. He's working on adding his Figure-8 tracks to his track list, as well as dates and Notes for his existing tracks. Dave and Mike made plans to meet up again in Indiana at the USAC shows near the end of the month. After four races, we said our goodbyes and all headed our separate ways for the evening races.

      I was impressed with MAORA and hope to work more of their events into my schedule going forward. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any more of their dates will fit into my 2013 plans, but they change all the time, so you never know.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 11 / Pam 5
      2013 Events-- Guy 16 / Pam 6
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 16 / Pam 6
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA