2013 TrackChasers Week 14 summary

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2013
      TrackChasers

      ( Weekly listserve update #119) It was a HUGE week for our group, with 135 new track visits added to the total. New tracks were added for 18 different people.

      The bulk of them came from the latest success story coming out of our research group. Active racer Mika Salo of Helsinki, Finland; has now been documented to have been at 100 tracks by our members. Of his 100 tracks, 99 of them came from before 2013, with his 100th coming earlier this year in Australia. In addition, Sala set a new standard for one of our project drivers having been to races in 32 different countries.

      There were 11 other new tracks added for existing project drivers, including 7 for Frank Gardner, and one each for Hans Stuck, Emanuele Pirro, Roberto Moreno, and Narain Karthikeyan. Narain's was the only one from 2013, as he raced last weekend in Morocco, a new country for him and tying him with Salo's record established in the group just one day earlier! Seventeen other existing track visits had date changes to an earlier visit to the track, among seven different project drivers.

      Domestic research arm project Tony Stewart won at Selinsgrove on Saturday, moving him one track closer to listed status, while the next driver targeted by the international arm of the group is England's Derek Bell.

      Amongst our active members, the largest addition came from World of Outlaws announcer Johnny Gibson, who took advantage of a Saturday WoO rainout at Calistoga to take in a new track visit at Placerville. Johnny also went through his list with a fine tooth comb and discovered five additional missing tracks from previous years.

      The most new tracks last weekend were visited by Brian Hickey, who chalked up three in Colorado and quadrupled his total in that state.

      Bruce and Pat Eckel each added two new tracks in Arizona, giving them an impressive 30 tracks in that state. They have twice as many Arizona tracks as the next people on the list: Gordy Killian and Gary Jacob with 15.

      Allan and Nancy Brown were vacationing at the Outer Banks, and each added a North and South Carolina track to their track lists while on the way.

      Paul Weisel recorded the bulk of his eight tracks from his UK visit the week before, but the last two spilled over into week 14.

      Roland Vanden Eynde added one new track in the Netherlands, a first in that country for 2013.

      And four added Monticello Motor Club (North Course) last Sunday for the 24 Hours of Lemons race. Rick Schneider was supposed to also visit the day before. Of the four, Gordy Killian added his first new track of the year, and Pam Smith made Monticello her 100th track in NY. She was the 7th to see 100 tracks in NY, and the 8th to have seen 100 tracks in more than one state.

      Allan Brown, Nancy Brown, and Guy Smith joined Roger Ferrell and Paul Weisel in double figures for 2013 new tracks.

      Brian Hickey added Colorado to the group's state total for the year, which is now at 17.

      First-time 2013 countries were Australia (Salo), Netherlands (Vanden Eynde), and Morocco (Karthikeyan). That ups the country total to ten for this year, with more in the planning stages. And it's only April.

      New to the 2013 list were Gordy Killian, Mika Salo, and Narain Karthikeyan; as there are ow 28 different people having recorded new track visits this year.

      Tracks added to the database from visits this week were the Arizona Motorsports Park, the University of Phoenix Stadium, and the Monticello Motor Club (North Course).

      Tracks have been added in each of the 14 weeks so far in 2013.

      The 21 new track visits from 2013 (20 from last week, one from earlier in the year), brings the total new track visits for 2013 to 123 by 28 different individuals. Roger Ferrell is still the lead dog in the pack with 14. That's not enough, we want more.

      *****

      ADDITIONAL 2013 TRACKS FROM WEEK 1-13 (JANUARY 1 - MARCH 31)

      02/09 Mika Salo*--Circuit Mount Panarama (Australia)

      2013 WEEK 14 ADDITIONS (APRIL 1 - APRIL 7)

      Monday, April 1

      Paul Weisel--Netherbridge, England, United Kingdom
      Paul Weisel--Smeartharpe Stadium, England, United Kingdom

      Friday, April 5

      Allan Brown--Carolina Speedway, NC
      Nancy Brown--Carolina Speedway, NC

      Saturday, April 6

      Allan Brown--Dillon Motor Speedway, SC
      Nancy Brown--Dillon Motor Speedway, SC
      Bruce Eckel--Arizona Motorsports Park, AZ
      Bruce Eckel--University of Phoenix Stadium, AZ
      Pat Eckel--Arizona Motorsports Park, AZ
      Pat Eckel--University of Phoenix Stadium, AZ
      Johnny Gibson--Placerville Speedway, CA
      Brian Hickey--Colorado National Speedway (oval), CO
      Brian Hickey--Colorado National Speedway (f8), CO
      Narain Karthikeyan*--Circuit de Marrakech, Morocco

      Sunday, April 7

      Brian Hickey--I-76 Speedway, CO
      Gordy Killian--Monticello Motor Club (North Course)
      Mike Knappenberger--Monticello Motor Club (North Course)
      Guy Smith--Monticello Motor Club (North Course)
      Pam Smith--Monticello Motor Club (North Course)
      Roland Vanden Eynde--Overloon, Netherlands

      *****

      2013 SUMMARY

      Total New Track Visits Reported--123

      Number of Group TrackChasers With New Tracks This Year--28

      US States Visited for New Tracks--17 (AZ, CA, C), FL, GA, IL, IN, MI, MS, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OK, SC, TX, WI)

      Canadian Provinces Visited for New Tracks--01 (QC)

      Countries Visited for New Tracks--10 (AUS, BEL, CAN, DEU, FRA, GBR, MAR, NLD, UKR, USA)

      *****

      ALL-TIME SUMMARY

      Lifetime Group Total of Reported TrackChaser New Track Visits--35,714 (+135)

      Additional "Non TC Classified Tracks"--146 (No Change)

      Different Countries in Which Members Have Seen Racing--74

      *****

      The following are welcome at any time for those that would like toimprove the information already contained on their personal tracklisting:

      * Dates to listed tracks
      * Modifications to the track names currently listed
      * Information for the "Notes" column for each track visited
      * Tracks for any of the various "Non TC Classified" categories that are outside of TrackChasers group

      Information in the "Non TC Classified" categories will be updated assoon as possible, with preference always being given to the TC stats.

      All TrackChaser group statistics are available at any time on the developmental version of my website at www.roamingtheraceways.com.

      Please report your new track visits in as timely a manneras possible so that all can enjoy and celebrate the travels of theother members of our group that share our hobby. Continue to submityour ideas for changes or improvements to my website and myYahooGroups! listserve. Thank you.