2013 TrackChaser Report #14--Mountain, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 11:33 AM

      Friday after work I headed to Harrisburg for the night. Pam was doing multiple presentations at the Pennsylvania Speech and Hearing Association Conference. We went to dinner at The Firehouse (highly recommended) with Paula Leslie, who not only co-wrote a text book with Pam, but also took us to the Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix in Pittsburgh's Schenley Park last year, and will likely do so again this upcoming summer.

      On Saturday morning, Pam returned to "speech mode" to facilitate Paula's talk at the conference, while I went to "racing mode" and headed in the direction of home, stopping at Mountain Speedway. On tap at Mountain was "Pole Day" time trials for the three divisions that would be racing on Sunday, plus the "Mountain Madness Enduro Series" race number 2 for the 6/8 cylinder cars.

      I arrived right at the 2:00 starting time, but they were not ready to start until after 2:30. Admission was $12, which seemed high since there was only one race on the card. Apparently most agreed with that, as there were fewer than two dozen people in the stands.

      The first half of the show was the time trials for the three weekly divisions. The car counts were pretty small, with 8 Four Cylinders, 9 Street Stocks, and 14 of the headline Modifieds. The Pole Day activities took about 45 minutes.

      There was a break of an hour and a quarter before the enduro. Thankfully I had a racing paper to read during the excessive down time. It's not like there were a lot of people there to talk to.

      The enduro was set for 100 laps. There were only 12 cars on hand, which was disappointing since I have been to quite a few of the enduro's at this track and this was the smallest field that I remember. The do run the enduros the way they were meant to be, with no yellows and red flags only when necessary. In this race, there were none necessary and the 100 lapper went non-stop. It was a pretty good race, with two cars battling on the lead lap the entire distance.

      The race was over at 5:00 and I was home a bit more than a half hour later.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 9 / Pam 4
      2013 Events-- Guy 14 / Pam 5
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 14 / Pam 5
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA