[TrackChasers] #785 Mountain Creek Speedway, TX

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
      This Easter weekend it was time for my ninth quarterly flight to DFW to
      visit my girlfriend, Michelle, in Carrollton, TX, and to add an 8th
      Texas dirt oval to my list. Oddly enough, it took 9 visits before we
      finally attended races at the closest active track to her home: Mountain
      Creek Speedway in Grand Prairie.

      This was the fourth different name under which TrackChasers have visited
      this track: DFW Speedway (1995, Robert Helmick), Outlaw Speedway (2000,
      John Moore), Grand Prairie Speedway (2004, Gordy Killian and 2010, Ed
      Esser) and now Mountain Creek Speedway (2013, Will White).

      Overall this was a decent show at a decent little track. Unfortunately,
      the crowd (a couple hundred) and car counts (64 in 6 classes) were
      lacking, although the 2 modified classes had half decent fields. This
      was the season opener (non point) for the track's regular classes,
      including IMCA modifieds (14), IMCA sport mods (18), IMCA 305 sprints
      (9), IMCA stock cars (5), street stocks (8) and bombers (10).

      With only relatively few minor cautions and a 20 minute intermission,
      the entire show was completed in 2 1/2 hours. As Michelle has arthritis
      in her back and isn't up to spending long nights sitting on bleacher
      seats, we are trying to time our arrival to miss most of the heats and
      see most or all of the features. It worked out very well this time as we
      arrived at 9:00, just in time for the modified heats. We then saw all 6
      features, with the modified main checkering right at 11:00.

      After a long Good Friday out, which included a few hours in the
      historic, western-themed, Fort Worth Stockyards, followed by a movie and
      dinner in Arlington, then the races at Grand Prairie, it was nice to
      have a mere 25 minute drive back to Michelle's.

      My unofficial rule of only one racing day per weekend on these quarterly
      visits should leave me in good shape for several more trips: Texas
      Motor Speedway is less than an hour from Carrollton and I still haven't
      been to any of the tracks there.