Re: God bless Gordy and his family

  • dalezoom
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
      Gordy,

      My thoughts are with you and your family during this tough timr. My deepest condolences.

      Dale O.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
        This Easter weekend it was time for my ninth quarterly flight to DFW to
        visit my girlfriend, Michelle, in Carrollton, TX, and to add an 8th
        Texas dirt oval to my list. Oddly enough, it took 9 visits before we
        finally attended races at the closest active track to her home: Mountain
        Creek Speedway in Grand Prairie.

        This was the fourth different name under which TrackChasers have visited
        this track: DFW Speedway (1995, Robert Helmick), Outlaw Speedway (2000,
        John Moore), Grand Prairie Speedway (2004, Gordy Killian and 2010, Ed
        Esser) and now Mountain Creek Speedway (2013, Will White).

        Overall this was a decent show at a decent little track. Unfortunately,
        the crowd (a couple hundred) and car counts (64 in 6 classes) were
        lacking, although the 2 modified classes had half decent fields. This
        was the season opener (non point) for the track's regular classes,
        including IMCA modifieds (14), IMCA sport mods (18), IMCA 305 sprints
        (9), IMCA stock cars (5), street stocks (8) and bombers (10).

        With only relatively few minor cautions and a 20 minute intermission,
        the entire show was completed in 2 1/2 hours. As Michelle has arthritis
        in her back and isn't up to spending long nights sitting on bleacher
        seats, we are trying to time our arrival to miss most of the heats and
        see most or all of the features. It worked out very well this time as we
        arrived at 9:00, just in time for the modified heats. We then saw all 6
        features, with the modified main checkering right at 11:00.

        After a long Good Friday out, which included a few hours in the
        historic, western-themed, Fort Worth Stockyards, followed by a movie and
        dinner in Arlington, then the races at Grand Prairie, it was nice to
        have a mere 25 minute drive back to Michelle's.

        My unofficial rule of only one racing day per weekend on these quarterly
        visits should leave me in good shape for several more trips: Texas
        Motor Speedway is less than an hour from Carrollton and I still haven't
        been to any of the tracks there.