Re: [TrackChasers] Cedar Lake Arena (Track #249)

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2013
      Was planning on making that show, but as luck would have it I was headed south instead of north.
      Nice report, you said the attendance was down on the second night, but how was it as compared to capacity levels. Would you say 75% or higher.

      See ya at the track
      Brian

      On Mar 10, 2013, at 8:24 PM, ed c <terrapin44@...> wrote:

      > On March 9 and 10 I attended races at the Cedar Lake Arena which borders the grounds of Cedar Lake Speedway, home of the $50,000 to win USA Nationals super late model race. Both nights they had Badger Midgets, Badger 600cc Microsprints and Legends cars.I am not good at guessing track lengths but the racing surface wasn't much smaller then the Chili Bowl. There were about 28 midgets, 23 micros and 13 legends and a good crowd on hand The first night of racing, Saturday March 9, was pretty good overall but for two things. With thus being he first time they raced in the arena in 5 year, with new clay just brought in, the track could have been more racy. It was fast, but not much passing. The other and much bigger problem was fumes. The building just did not have adequate ventilation for midgets. It might have been fine for motocross which is what they have been using the building for but the fumes were so bad many people headed to the exits after the first
      > yellow. My eyes were literally tearing from the fumes. During the feature they had to take a 15 minute break for fumes to clear which did help. Travis Berryhill won the race.
      >
      > The second day they started about 30 minutes after the advertised 1:00pm starting time. I heard one reason for the late start was that some drivers convinced them to run in the track (or so I heard). The crowd, probably due to the fumes the night before, was not as big for the second day. Again, not much passing in the heats. For the midget B-main they cut the top of the track and it was a pretty good race. However ,this left them in a bind for the feature. Tracy Hines wanted them to cut the whole track for the B and only the top for the A. As it happened but cutting only the top for the B, the track crew had to cut the whole track before the A. Many of the drivers weren't happy and you could tell by the couple of sentences they said during introductions. That said, after a 8 car pile up on the start which was followed by a long red "to get the line-up right", the racing was pretty good and Hines made it up to second so he was probably a lot happier.
      > Danny Strattonwon. All-in-all, not bad for the first time running this race but they do have room for improvement - especially with the ventilation. The races ended at about 5:30 pm. A little too long, but I think they went slower then they wpuld have due to the fumes.
      >
      > I talked to some of the track crew and one(?) of the track owner during the weekend and they plan on making the building bigger and possibly running late models and sprints. There was even talk of using the arena track during the year when it rains. They'll have to greatly improve the ventilation and make a nice size addition to the building, but they are aware of that and they do want to make it right and I'm sure they will make it better.

> [...]

    • terrapin44
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14, 2013
        I'd say the stands were 75-80% full on Saturday and maybe 40-45% full on Sunday. That said, they had a pretty lot of (brand new) stands and I know they were very happy with the Saturday crowd.

        Edward