2013 TrackChaser Report #8--Lincoln Speedway, PA

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2013

      On Saturday afternoon, three of us loaded into the car for a trip to see some Super Sprint racing at the Lincoln Speedway. I have been going to Lincoln nearly every year for almost 35 years, so it was not a new track for myself, Mike, or Mike's friend Mike.

      We arrived around 1:00 for the 2:00 start. It was snowing at a pretty good clip, so we waited to go inside until 1:30, the time warmups were supposed to start. Admission was $14. Upon entering, we saw how wet the snow had made the track, and knew an on-time start was out of the question.

      The snow squall soon stopped, and they started re-grooming the track. This did not take as long as I feared, and the show ended up starting only 45 minutes late. The week before, at the season opener, they had only 17 Super Sprints. I figured the car count would jump this weekend and it did, to 28, more than a full field. The Super Sprints were the only class racing, with the Limited Sprints and the Thundercars having practice after the show.

      Because of the snow, the track was in great shape. It was lightning fast with no dust the entire day. They ran the three heats and consie off quickly, with only three yellow flags. After a very brief break it was time for the feature.

      The feature had some good racing, but was also marred by three wrecks. Greg Hodnett flipped down the frontstrtch on the first lap, one of the Mackison boys dumped it in turn four, and runaway leader Cory Haas took it out of the ballpark in four after running up on and over the wheel of a lapped car just 11 laps from victory.

      Fast Freddy Rahmer made a great day race charge from 12th to 2nd, but had nothing left for Jim Seigel, who inherited the lead after the Haas headed for the parking lot the hard way.

      The 45 minute late start couldn't be helped, but once they got rolling they ran the whole show in a little more than an hour and a half. It was a very good show at Lincoln. My concern was the disparity between the fast cars and the field fillers. I suspect the disparity will get a bit worse when a few of the good cars present head to Port Royal when that track opens next weekend. I certainly did not regret spending my Saturday off at The Fabulous Lincoln Speedway.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 5 / Pam 3
      2013 Events-- Guy 8 / Pam 3
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 8 / Pam 3
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA