2013 TrackChaser Report #7--St.-Theodore d'Acton, Quebec

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2013

      My typical goal for each winter is to see ice races at three new ice tracks. Who would have guessed that this year's three would all come in Quebec, and come in just an eight-day period?

      After Mike and I left Lac William, we headed to the second half of our ice double. About an hour and a half later, we pulled into the town of Saint Theodore d'Acton. Will White had discovered this race the previous month, and Rick Young had taken advantage of Will's sharing of his discovery and attended the first of the two scheduled "Course de Bazous" style races there. Mike and I benefited as well, because Rick sent us exact directions to locate the track, so we did not waste any time between the two tracks.

      Of course we still arrived well after starting time. We paid the $10 admission and squeezed into the small parking lot. The track was a tiny oval, with high snow banks circling the perimeter. Spectators stood on top of the banks, all around the track except turns three and four. There was a good crowd and it was hard to find a good place to stand, as the people were shoulder to shoulder on top of the snow banks.

      The banger-style racing is full contact, with many of the cars being disabled during the race. We saw just one race, enough to secure the track for our track lists, then there was a race for the VTT four-wheelers. After that was intermission. We were concerned about the 1-3 inches of snow that was predicted between Plattsburgh and Albany on the way home. But one race wasn't enough, so we decided to stay for the next round.

      During intermission I walked the pits and counted between 45-50 cars on hand. These events are great moneymakers for small Quebec towns during the winter. They also had a food truck and a heated tent with tables and chairs. Mike bought us hot dogs and we ate inside the tent and warmed up during the remainder of the intermission.

      Racing began after a half hour, again with a VTT race. Interestingly, the VTT races ran in the opposite direction of the car races. We watched another round of racing for the cars, and I got pictures from several different sides of the track. After we had seen enough racing, we headed for home.

      The snow turned out to be not too bad in upstate New York, and we passed the time listening to the end of the Flyers game, crash talk on NASCAR radio, and the Sixer's game, thanks to Mike coming through with the sat. radio. It was just after midnight when we pulled into my driveway. We couldn't have asked for any better result from the weekend trip.

      I figured we were done ice racing for the year, and had no new track trips planned for the next three weekends, until Edward discovered the ice race for this Sunday at Black Lake, NY. Looks like the ice racing season is extended for one more race this winter. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope to see some of our group in attendance.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2013 Summary

      2013 New Tracks--Guy 5 / Pam 3
      2013 Events-- Guy 7 / Pam 3
      2013 Total Tracks-- Guy 7 / Pam 3
      2013 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam NA