Track Measurements

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27 2:27 AM

      Dave Balloch wanted to post this to the forum but could not do so, and sent it to me.--Guy

      Guy,

      I wanted to reply to the recent topic on Trackchasers concerning track measurements, but couldn't due to something that apparently I haven't set up for the use of the forum.

      Anyway, in the old days, most tracks had been horse racing venues, thus, they were measured 3' off the inside rail. That was the standard for many years, however, NASCAR has seen fit to measure tracks something like 7.5' off the outside rail which is where a car typically runs on the big tracks. Remember years ago when NASCAR tracks mysteriously grew? That's when 1/2 mile tracks became 5/8ths. The Indy crowd, generally, measures their road courses from the middle of the track through those squiggly turns. Then, there are many, many promoters who see fit to blatantly lie about track length. I would say that size doesn't matter, it's how you use it.

      DB