Re: [TrackChasers] in search of a 5/8 mile oval

  • Colin Casserley
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
      Will,

      That will keep you busy!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Will White <will@...>
      To: TrackChasers <TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:29
      Subject: Re: [TrackChasers] in search of a 5/8 mile oval

      Colin,

      I agree one standard way would be best and the metric system would make
      it easy to compare relative sizes between tracks. I should make a list
      of the tracks as I measure them, in descending order, either in meters
      or yards. Just what I need...another interesting project. lol

      Will

      On 2/25/2013 5:17 PM, Colin Casserley wrote:
      > About time there was a standard way of measuring a track, maybe 10ft
      > from either pole line or outside wall ( Difficult when there is no
      wall
      > like some tracks!)
      >
      > all this 5/8, 9/16th, 2/3 stuff confuses me, can't we measure it all
      > in meters!! :-)

      FL,
      > > track that had been listed as 3/4.
      > >
      > > I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8
      that
      > > really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which
      > I'd
      > > call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe,
      WA.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
        Colin:

        When I was in Junior High School (grades 7-9) in the mid 1970's, they taught us the metric system and repeated over and over that in ten years everything would be in metrics in the US and standardized in the world. That was almost 40 years ago and it still hasn't happened. I think there is actual less metrics now than there was then, big soda bottles (soon to be banned in NYC with pizza delivery) the exception. NASCAR, at least at one time, seemed to jump on the metric bandwagon because it meant they could use higher numbers for their race names.

        I must be a young un then, I was taught Metres in school

        Metres what are they,its alright for foreigners and young'uns lets
        stick to yards :-)

        ________________________________

        Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
          Colin,
          I really need to work on an early retirement. :)

          Will

          On 2/25/2013 5:32 PM, Colin Casserley wrote:
          > Will,
          >
          > That will keep you busy!
        • Colin Casserley
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
            The USA is as confused as us! We measure road distances in miles but
            everything else in metres. All weight and measure have to be metric
            too. So we buy Petrol ( gas) In litres, but manufacturer tell us how
            many miles per gallon a car achieves!