Re: [TrackChasers] in search of a 5/8 mile oval

  • colin herridge
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
      Metres what are they,its alright for foreigners and young'uns lets stick to yards :-)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
        Colin,

        I agree one standard way would be best and the metric system would make
        it easy to compare relative sizes between tracks. I should make a list
        of the tracks as I measure them, in descending order, either in meters
        or yards. Just what I need...another interesting project. lol

        Will

      • Colin Casserley
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
          I must be a young un then, I was taught Metres in school

          wrote:

          > As some of you know, one of my pet peeves in short track racing is
          the
          > rampant exaggeration of listed track lengths. In the past I measured
          > quite a few ovals online and found most to be shorter than stated,
          some
          > fairly accurate and a very few actually longer. After finding most of
          > the so-called 5/8 mile tracks to be true half miles, I wondered if
          there
          > were any real 5/8 miles. At the time, it turned out that the only 5/8
          > had found was the defunct USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL,
          > track that had been listed as 3/4.
          >
          > I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8 that
          > really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which
          I'd
          > call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe, WA.
          > That matches Raceway Park in Clermont, IN. I also measured Cayuga
          Motor
          > Speedway in Nelles Corners, ON, and came up with about 9/16, which
          > matches Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. All the others I measured,
          including
          > Thompson (CT), Rolling Wheels (NY), Orange County (NY), Flemington
          (NJ),
          > Allegany County (MD) and even North Wilkesboro (NC) are basically
          half
          > miles.
          >
          > Will

        • Colin Casserley
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
            Will,

            That will keep you busy!

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
              Colin:

              When I was in Junior High School (grades 7-9) in the mid 1970's, they taught us the metric system and repeated over and over that in ten years everything would be in metrics in the US and standardized in the world. That was almost 40 years ago and it still hasn't happened. I think there is actual less metrics now than there was then, big soda bottles (soon to be banned in NYC with pizza delivery) the exception. NASCAR, at least at one time, seemed to jump on the metric bandwagon because it meant they could use higher numbers for their race names.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                Colin,
                I really need to work on an early retirement. :)

                Will

                On 2/25/2013 5:32 PM, Colin Casserley wrote:
                > Will,
                >
                > That will keep you busy!
              • Colin Casserley
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                  The USA is as confused as us! We measure road distances in miles but
                  everything else in metres. All weight and measure have to be metric
                  too. So we buy Petrol ( gas) In litres, but manufacturer tell us how
                  many miles per gallon a car achieves!