Re: [TrackChasers] in search of a 5/8 mile oval

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 25 2:24 PM
      Brian,

      It was interesting seeing the satellite imagery of Lakeville, a track I
      never saw, but read results from in AARN in the early 70s. I measure
      both the inside and outside perimeter of the tracks and Lakeville
      averages out right around a half mile, although I couldn't measure it
      quite as accurately as the others due to deterioration of the inside.

      Will

      On 2/25/2013 10:11 AM, Brian wrote:
      > Will
      >
      > Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to
      > walk the track during their reunion they had a few years back, and was
      > stated as a 5/8 mile dirt on the old programs that were on display.
      >
      > Brian
    • colin herridge
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 25 2:26 PM
        Metres what are they,its alright for foreigners and young'uns lets stick to yards :-)

        ________________________________
        About time there was a standard way of measuring a track, maybe 10ft
        from either pole line or outside wall ( Difficult when there is no wall
        like some tracks!)

        all this 5/8, 9/16th, 2/3 stuff confuses me,  can't we measure it all
        in meters!!  :-)

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25 2:29 PM
          Colin,

          I agree one standard way would be best and the metric system would make
          it easy to compare relative sizes between tracks. I should make a list
          of the tracks as I measure them, in descending order, either in meters
          or yards. Just what I need...another interesting project. lol

          Will

        • Colin Casserley
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25 2:30 PM
            I must be a young un then, I was taught Metres in school

            wrote:

            > As some of you know, one of my pet peeves in short track racing is
            the
            > rampant exaggeration of listed track lengths. In the past I measured
            > quite a few ovals online and found most to be shorter than stated,
            some
            > fairly accurate and a very few actually longer. After finding most of
            > the so-called 5/8 mile tracks to be true half miles, I wondered if
            there
            > were any real 5/8 miles. At the time, it turned out that the only 5/8
            > had found was the defunct USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL,
            > track that had been listed as 3/4.
            >
            > I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8 that
            > really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which
            I'd
            > call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe, WA.
            > That matches Raceway Park in Clermont, IN. I also measured Cayuga
            Motor
            > Speedway in Nelles Corners, ON, and came up with about 9/16, which
            > matches Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. All the others I measured,
            including
            > Thompson (CT), Rolling Wheels (NY), Orange County (NY), Flemington
            (NJ),
            > Allegany County (MD) and even North Wilkesboro (NC) are basically
            half
            > miles.
            >
            > Will

          • Colin Casserley
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 25 2:32 PM
              Will,

              That will keep you busy!

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 25 2:35 PM
                Colin:

                When I was in Junior High School (grades 7-9) in the mid 1970's, they taught us the metric system and repeated over and over that in ten years everything would be in metrics in the US and standardized in the world. That was almost 40 years ago and it still hasn't happened. I think there is actual less metrics now than there was then, big soda bottles (soon to be banned in NYC with pizza delivery) the exception. NASCAR, at least at one time, seemed to jump on the metric bandwagon because it meant they could use higher numbers for their race names.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25 2:40 PM
                  Colin,
                  I really need to work on an early retirement. :)

                  Will

                  On 2/25/2013 5:32 PM, Colin Casserley wrote:
                  > Will,
                  >
                  > That will keep you busy!
                • Colin Casserley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 25 2:44 PM
                    The USA is as confused as us! We measure road distances in miles but
                    everything else in metres. All weight and measure have to be metric
                    too. So we buy Petrol ( gas) In litres, but manufacturer tell us how
                    many miles per gallon a car achieves!