Re: [TrackChasers] in search of a 5/8 mile oval

  • Mike Leone
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
      I know they only race two to three times per year during the fair now, but what about Expo Speedway at the Trumbull County Fairgrounds?

      Probably won't be used now, but what was the old West Virginia Motor Speedway?

      Mike

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013

        Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to walk the track during their reunion they had a few years back, and was stated as a 5/8 mile dirt on the old programs that were on display.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
          Mike,

          I'd call both Expo and the old WVMS 9/16 miles. They are very nearly the
          same on the outside perimeter. Both tracks are wide, although Expo is a
          little wider, making the inside perimeter of it a bit shorter.

          By the way, I forgot to mention Oswego and Lancaster (Dunn Tire), NY, as
          other listed 5/8 miles that I previously measured and came up with a
          half mile.

          Will

          On 2/25/2013 9:51 AM, Mike Leone wrote:
          > I know they only race two to three times per year during the fair now,
          > but what about Expo Speedway at the Trumbull County Fairgrounds?
          >
          > Probably won't be used now, but what was the old West Virginia Motor
          > Speedway?
          >
          > Mike

        • Colin Casserley
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
            About time there was a standard way of measuring a track, maybe 10ft
            from either pole line or outside wall ( Difficult when there is no wall
            like some tracks!)

            all this 5/8, 9/16th, 2/3 stuff confuses me, can't we measure it all
            in meters!! :-)

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
              Brian,

              It was interesting seeing the satellite imagery of Lakeville, a track I
              never saw, but read results from in AARN in the early 70s. I measure
              both the inside and outside perimeter of the tracks and Lakeville
              averages out right around a half mile, although I couldn't measure it
              quite as accurately as the others due to deterioration of the inside.

              Will

              On 2/25/2013 10:11 AM, Brian wrote:
              > Will
              >
              > Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to
              > walk the track during their reunion they had a few years back, and was
              > stated as a 5/8 mile dirt on the old programs that were on display.
              >
              > Brian
            • colin herridge
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                Metres what are they,its alright for foreigners and young'uns lets stick to yards :-)

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                  Colin,

                  I agree one standard way would be best and the metric system would make
                  it easy to compare relative sizes between tracks. I should make a list
                  of the tracks as I measure them, in descending order, either in meters
                  or yards. Just what I need...another interesting project. lol

                  Will

                • Colin Casserley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                    I must be a young un then, I was taught Metres in school

                    wrote:

                    > As some of you know, one of my pet peeves in short track racing is
                    the
                    > rampant exaggeration of listed track lengths. In the past I measured
                    > quite a few ovals online and found most to be shorter than stated,
                    some
                    > fairly accurate and a very few actually longer. After finding most of
                    > the so-called 5/8 mile tracks to be true half miles, I wondered if
                    there
                    > were any real 5/8 miles. At the time, it turned out that the only 5/8
                    > had found was the defunct USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL,
                    > track that had been listed as 3/4.
                    >
                    > I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8 that
                    > really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which
                    I'd
                    > call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe, WA.
                    > That matches Raceway Park in Clermont, IN. I also measured Cayuga
                    Motor
                    > Speedway in Nelles Corners, ON, and came up with about 9/16, which
                    > matches Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. All the others I measured,
                    including
                    > Thompson (CT), Rolling Wheels (NY), Orange County (NY), Flemington
                    (NJ),
                    > Allegany County (MD) and even North Wilkesboro (NC) are basically
                    half
                    > miles.
                    >
                    > Will

                  • Colin Casserley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                      Will,

                      That will keep you busy!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                        Colin:

                        When I was in Junior High School (grades 7-9) in the mid 1970's, they taught us the metric system and repeated over and over that in ten years everything would be in metrics in the US and standardized in the world. That was almost 40 years ago and it still hasn't happened. I think there is actual less metrics now than there was then, big soda bottles (soon to be banned in NYC with pizza delivery) the exception. NASCAR, at least at one time, seemed to jump on the metric bandwagon because it meant they could use higher numbers for their race names.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                          Colin,
                          I really need to work on an early retirement. :)

                          Will

                          On 2/25/2013 5:32 PM, Colin Casserley wrote:
                          > Will,
                          >
                          > That will keep you busy!
                        • Colin Casserley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                            The USA is as confused as us! We measure road distances in miles but
                            everything else in metres. All weight and measure have to be metric
                            too. So we buy Petrol ( gas) In litres, but manufacturer tell us how
                            many miles per gallon a car achieves!