Re: [TrackChasers] Vanden Eynde Roland

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
      Chris,

      I agree that Roland's travelogues are all that. The wealth of
      interesting information contained in each one makes them one of the
      highlights of this group.

      Will

      On 2/23/2013 6:50 AM, Christopher Tyrrel wrote:
      > I love Vanden Eynde Roland's emails! Very interesting, informative and
      > well written.
      > I hope he keeps it up!
    • rpmgordy
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013
        Chris,

        Any travelogue posted by the "Mad Belgian" will always be a good read
        and will feature view points unique to the group. More often than not, his
        views of things are "spot on", as he's fond to say. I do miss our times
        together. The dinners as much as the trackchasing. Adios.

        Gordy

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013
          As some of you know, one of my pet peeves in short track racing is the
          rampant exaggeration of listed track lengths. In the past I measured
          quite a few ovals online and found most to be shorter than stated, some
          fairly accurate and a very few actually longer. After finding most of
          the so-called 5/8 mile tracks to be true half miles, I wondered if there
          were any real 5/8 miles. At the time, it turned out that the only 5/8 I
          had found was the defunct USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL, a
          track that had been listed as 3/4.

          I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8 that
          really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which I'd
          call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe, WA.
          That matches Raceway Park in Clermont, IN. I also measured Cayuga Motor
          Speedway in Nelles Corners, ON, and came up with about 9/16, which
          matches Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. All the others I measured, including
          Thompson (CT), Rolling Wheels (NY), Orange County (NY), Flemington (NJ),
          Allegany County (MD) and even North Wilkesboro (NC) are basically half
          miles.

          Will
        • Mike Leone
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
            I know they only race two to three times per year during the fair now, but what about Expo Speedway at the Trumbull County Fairgrounds?

            Probably won't be used now, but what was the old West Virginia Motor Speedway?

            Mike

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013

              Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to walk the track during their reunion they had a few years back, and was stated as a 5/8 mile dirt on the old programs that were on display.

              Brian

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                Mike,

                I'd call both Expo and the old WVMS 9/16 miles. They are very nearly the
                same on the outside perimeter. Both tracks are wide, although Expo is a
                little wider, making the inside perimeter of it a bit shorter.

                By the way, I forgot to mention Oswego and Lancaster (Dunn Tire), NY, as
                other listed 5/8 miles that I previously measured and came up with a
                half mile.

                Will

                On 2/25/2013 9:51 AM, Mike Leone wrote:
                > I know they only race two to three times per year during the fair now,
                > but what about Expo Speedway at the Trumbull County Fairgrounds?
                >
                > Probably won't be used now, but what was the old West Virginia Motor
                > Speedway?
                >
                > Mike

              • Colin Casserley
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                  About time there was a standard way of measuring a track, maybe 10ft
                  from either pole line or outside wall ( Difficult when there is no wall
                  like some tracks!)

                  all this 5/8, 9/16th, 2/3 stuff confuses me, can't we measure it all
                  in meters!! :-)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                    Brian,

                    It was interesting seeing the satellite imagery of Lakeville, a track I
                    never saw, but read results from in AARN in the early 70s. I measure
                    both the inside and outside perimeter of the tracks and Lakeville
                    averages out right around a half mile, although I couldn't measure it
                    quite as accurately as the others due to deterioration of the inside.

                    Will

                    On 2/25/2013 10:11 AM, Brian wrote:
                    > Will
                    >
                    > Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to
                    > walk the track during their reunion they had a few years back, and was
                    > stated as a 5/8 mile dirt on the old programs that were on display.
                    >
                    > Brian
                  • colin herridge
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                      Metres what are they,its alright for foreigners and young'uns lets stick to yards :-)

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                        Colin,

                        I agree one standard way would be best and the metric system would make
                        it easy to compare relative sizes between tracks. I should make a list
                        of the tracks as I measure them, in descending order, either in meters
                        or yards. Just what I need...another interesting project. lol

                        Will

                      • Colin Casserley
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                          I must be a young un then, I was taught Metres in school

                          wrote:

                          > As some of you know, one of my pet peeves in short track racing is
                          the
                          > rampant exaggeration of listed track lengths. In the past I measured
                          > quite a few ovals online and found most to be shorter than stated,
                          some
                          > fairly accurate and a very few actually longer. After finding most of
                          > the so-called 5/8 mile tracks to be true half miles, I wondered if
                          there
                          > were any real 5/8 miles. At the time, it turned out that the only 5/8
                          > had found was the defunct USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL,
                          > track that had been listed as 3/4.
                          >
                          > I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8 that
                          > really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which
                          I'd
                          > call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe, WA.
                          > That matches Raceway Park in Clermont, IN. I also measured Cayuga
                          Motor
                          > Speedway in Nelles Corners, ON, and came up with about 9/16, which
                          > matches Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. All the others I measured,
                          including
                          > Thompson (CT), Rolling Wheels (NY), Orange County (NY), Flemington
                          (NJ),
                          > Allegany County (MD) and even North Wilkesboro (NC) are basically
                          half
                          > miles.
                          >
                          > Will

                        • Colin Casserley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                            Will,

                            That will keep you busy!

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                              Colin:

                              When I was in Junior High School (grades 7-9) in the mid 1970's, they taught us the metric system and repeated over and over that in ten years everything would be in metrics in the US and standardized in the world. That was almost 40 years ago and it still hasn't happened. I think there is actual less metrics now than there was then, big soda bottles (soon to be banned in NYC with pizza delivery) the exception. NASCAR, at least at one time, seemed to jump on the metric bandwagon because it meant they could use higher numbers for their race names.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                                Colin,
                                I really need to work on an early retirement. :)

                                Will

                                On 2/25/2013 5:32 PM, Colin Casserley wrote:
                                > Will,
                                >
                                > That will keep you busy!
                              • Colin Casserley
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                                  The USA is as confused as us! We measure road distances in miles but
                                  everything else in metres. All weight and measure have to be metric
                                  too. So we buy Petrol ( gas) In litres, but manufacturer tell us how
                                  many miles per gallon a car achieves!