Vanden Eynde Roland

  • Christopher Tyrrel
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
      I love Vanden Eynde Roland's emails! Very interesting, informative and well written.
      I hope he keeps it up!

      Chris Tyrrel
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
        Chris,

        I agree that Roland's travelogues are all that. The wealth of
        interesting information contained in each one makes them one of the
        highlights of this group.

        Will

        On 2/23/2013 6:50 AM, Christopher Tyrrel wrote:
        > I love Vanden Eynde Roland's emails! Very interesting, informative and
        > well written.
        > I hope he keeps it up!
      • rpmgordy
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013
          Chris,

          Any travelogue posted by the "Mad Belgian" will always be a good read
          and will feature view points unique to the group. More often than not, his
          views of things are "spot on", as he's fond to say. I do miss our times
          together. The dinners as much as the trackchasing. Adios.

          Gordy

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013
            As some of you know, one of my pet peeves in short track racing is the
            rampant exaggeration of listed track lengths. In the past I measured
            quite a few ovals online and found most to be shorter than stated, some
            fairly accurate and a very few actually longer. After finding most of
            the so-called 5/8 mile tracks to be true half miles, I wondered if there
            were any real 5/8 miles. At the time, it turned out that the only 5/8 I
            had found was the defunct USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL, a
            track that had been listed as 3/4.

            I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8 that
            really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which I'd
            call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe, WA.
            That matches Raceway Park in Clermont, IN. I also measured Cayuga Motor
            Speedway in Nelles Corners, ON, and came up with about 9/16, which
            matches Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. All the others I measured, including
            Thompson (CT), Rolling Wheels (NY), Orange County (NY), Flemington (NJ),
            Allegany County (MD) and even North Wilkesboro (NC) are basically half
            miles.

            Will
          • Mike Leone
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
              I know they only race two to three times per year during the fair now, but what about Expo Speedway at the Trumbull County Fairgrounds?

              Probably won't be used now, but what was the old West Virginia Motor Speedway?

              Mike

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013

                Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to walk the track during their reunion they had a few years back, and was stated as a 5/8 mile dirt on the old programs that were on display.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                  Mike,

                  I'd call both Expo and the old WVMS 9/16 miles. They are very nearly the
                  same on the outside perimeter. Both tracks are wide, although Expo is a
                  little wider, making the inside perimeter of it a bit shorter.

                  By the way, I forgot to mention Oswego and Lancaster (Dunn Tire), NY, as
                  other listed 5/8 miles that I previously measured and came up with a
                  half mile.

                  Will

                  On 2/25/2013 9:51 AM, Mike Leone wrote:
                  > I know they only race two to three times per year during the fair now,
                  > but what about Expo Speedway at the Trumbull County Fairgrounds?
                  >
                  > Probably won't be used now, but what was the old West Virginia Motor
                  > Speedway?
                  >
                  > Mike

                • Colin Casserley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                    About time there was a standard way of measuring a track, maybe 10ft
                    from either pole line or outside wall ( Difficult when there is no wall
                    like some tracks!)

                    all this 5/8, 9/16th, 2/3 stuff confuses me, can't we measure it all
                    in meters!! :-)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                      Brian,

                      It was interesting seeing the satellite imagery of Lakeville, a track I
                      never saw, but read results from in AARN in the early 70s. I measure
                      both the inside and outside perimeter of the tracks and Lakeville
                      averages out right around a half mile, although I couldn't measure it
                      quite as accurately as the others due to deterioration of the inside.

                      Will

                      On 2/25/2013 10:11 AM, Brian wrote:
                      > Will
                      >
                      > Did you check Legion Speedway in Lakeville,Ma. I had the opportunity to
                      > walk the track during their reunion they had a few years back, and was
                      > stated as a 5/8 mile dirt on the old programs that were on display.
                      >
                      > Brian
                    • colin herridge
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                        Metres what are they,its alright for foreigners and young'uns lets stick to yards :-)

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                          Colin,

                          I agree one standard way would be best and the metric system would make
                          it easy to compare relative sizes between tracks. I should make a list
                          of the tracks as I measure them, in descending order, either in meters
                          or yards. Just what I need...another interesting project. lol

                          Will

                        • Colin Casserley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                            I must be a young un then, I was taught Metres in school

                            wrote:

                            > As some of you know, one of my pet peeves in short track racing is
                            the
                            > rampant exaggeration of listed track lengths. In the past I measured
                            > quite a few ovals online and found most to be shorter than stated,
                            some
                            > fairly accurate and a very few actually longer. After finding most of
                            > the so-called 5/8 mile tracks to be true half miles, I wondered if
                            there
                            > were any real 5/8 miles. At the time, it turned out that the only 5/8
                            > had found was the defunct USA International Speedway in Lakeland, FL,
                            > track that had been listed as 3/4.
                            >
                            > I can now report that, while still not having found a listed 5/8 that
                            > really is 5/8, I did find one that is actually a bit longer, which
                            I'd
                            > call 2/3 mile. It is the Evergreen Speedway outer oval in Monroe, WA.
                            > That matches Raceway Park in Clermont, IN. I also measured Cayuga
                            Motor
                            > Speedway in Nelles Corners, ON, and came up with about 9/16, which
                            > matches Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. All the others I measured,
                            including
                            > Thompson (CT), Rolling Wheels (NY), Orange County (NY), Flemington
                            (NJ),
                            > Allegany County (MD) and even North Wilkesboro (NC) are basically
                            half
                            > miles.
                            >
                            > Will

                          • Colin Casserley
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                              Will,

                              That will keep you busy!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                                Colin:

                                When I was in Junior High School (grades 7-9) in the mid 1970's, they taught us the metric system and repeated over and over that in ten years everything would be in metrics in the US and standardized in the world. That was almost 40 years ago and it still hasn't happened. I think there is actual less metrics now than there was then, big soda bottles (soon to be banned in NYC with pizza delivery) the exception. NASCAR, at least at one time, seemed to jump on the metric bandwagon because it meant they could use higher numbers for their race names.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                                  Colin,
                                  I really need to work on an early retirement. :)

                                  Will

                                  On 2/25/2013 5:32 PM, Colin Casserley wrote:
                                  > Will,
                                  >
                                  > That will keep you busy!
                                • Colin Casserley
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 25, 2013
                                    The USA is as confused as us! We measure road distances in miles but
                                    everything else in metres. All weight and measure have to be metric
                                    too. So we buy Petrol ( gas) In litres, but manufacturer tell us how
                                    many miles per gallon a car achieves!