A Couple of Major Ice Race Cancelations

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013

      A couple of the big ice races scheduled for the next two weekends have been canceled.

      For this weekend, AMEC has canceled their (not so) annual big race at the Winter Carnival in Lake George, NY. There is not enough ice. There was not enough ice last year, either.

      CNYIRA reported on Feb 19 that Waneta Lake has 8 inches of ice. This is about 4 short of what they need, so it looks like another year (two in a row) of no real ice racing for CNYIRA. For the NY clubs, the first weekend of March is basically their last chance, as I don't ever remember them racing in NY on the second March weekend. Interesting that they posted on Feb 6 that Waneta had 7 inches of ice, and was adding 2 inches every 3 days. By my calculations, that means that by Feb 19 they should have had 15 inches. Wonder what happened to the other 7 inches?

      For next weekend, the 24 Hours of Ice on Chamonix Revival at Circuit ICAR has been canceled for the second year in a row, out of two years scheduled. Pam and I were planning on going to that one.

      Even if Mike and I can get an ice race in this weekend, it will mean that we only got to see new ice race tracks two of the five weeks that I had planned. Looks like next year I'll have to take Mike up on his weekly late January and February offer of a Wisconsin Winter Weekend.