FLIR-No Ice or Black Rock this Weekend

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2012
      TrackChasers:

      The Finger Lakes Ice Racing club did not hold a single race event last winter due to the warm temperatures. This year, in an attempt to guarantee a season, they put together an actual once a month schedule, with the understanding that if at all possible, a race would be held that day. The race would be on a frozen lake if at all possible, but if not it would be on land at Black Rock Speedway.

      This weekend was supposed to be the first of these events. There has not been much interest within our group for this race, since the Baltimore TQ event is this evening. Obviously there is not going to be any NY lakes frozen enough to race on yet. I checked the FLIR website out of curiosity just to see if they were really going to race at Black Rock.

      They are not. They are planning to participate in the CNY SCCA rallycross event tomorrow, awarding championship points to any FLIR members that compete. These are solo timed runs and not wheel to wheel racing so it would not be of interest to most in our group.

      If rain cancels that event, they are going to race indoor go karts at a rental track in Syracuse, also not of interest to most in our group. The indoor kart racing would also offer championship points to members of the stock car ice racing club. A "unique" approach indeed.

      We will see what happens for their next scheduled event the second weekend in January.