Circuit of the Americas

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2012

      Greg Rickes, a racing journalist and announcer (he's been the Lime Rock Park public address for decades) is a reader of my column in AARN. He was at Circuit of the Americas on Grand Prix weekend and responded to my AARN comments about the US Grand Prix with some information to pass along to other TrackChasers.

      First, he said the 2013 schedule for the track has been released and there are several opportunities to see the track outside of the Formula One race weekend.

      March 2--Grand Am Sports Car Series
      May 17-19--Australian V8 Supercars
      September 21-22 American LeMans Series & World Endurance Championship
      November--Formual One

      Second, he said that there are some decent viewing opportunities with a general admission ticket, you don't necessarily have to have one of the grandstand tickets to make the trip worthwhile.

      Finally, when mentioning best general admission viewing spot, Greg said that the V8 Supercar race had a reasonable weekend admission ticket, but that the best viewing spot won't be available "because for that race they won't be running that part of the track as the race will be on the "short course". That was definitely news to me, as everything that I have read about the Circuit of the Americas only mentioned the one Grand Prix circuit. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

      I thanked Greg for thinking of us and taking the time to pass along the information. Hopefully it will help someone along the way.

    • Vanden Eynde Roland
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2012
        Hello colleagues,

        Good to know that like many Hermann Tilke designed tracks (Sepang,
        Shanghai, Yas Marina) the Austin one also has two configurations.

        Having seen them on three occasions in the past, I strongly recommend
        the Australian V8 supercar series. it's laidback and hugely competitive.
        One of the best road racing series, if not the best, in the entire
        world.

        Roland

[...]

        Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

      • dalezoom
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2012
          Guy and all:

          The SCCA Mejors tour (on NSSN's site) has the COTA on its sked, for March 8-10.

          Dale O.