2012 TrackChaser Report #82--Hocking Co. FG, OH

    TrackChasers: Last weekend Pam and I headed to Ohio for the Autocross races at the Hocking County Fairgrounds in Logan, OH.? They started having Autocross
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24 4:02 PM

      Last weekend Pam and I headed to Ohio for the Autocross races at the Hocking County Fairgrounds in Logan, OH.? They started having Autocross races in 2011, and Norm Wagner attended.? Last year they scheduled three races, one in spring, one during the fair, and one in fall.? This year the schedule was the same.? This, obviously, was the fall race.

      We left after work on Friday, and drove to Parkersburg, WV.? On Saturday morning we headed into Athens, where we took our morning walk on the path by the Mighty Hocking River, then headed uptown for a lunch of Mexican food and a trip to Dairy Queen for dessert.? About an hour away was Logan, and the Hocking County Fairgrounds.

      The race was originally scheduled for 6:00, then moved to 4:00, then moved again to 3:00.? We got there about 1:15 and were about the first people there.? I was worried because there were no race cars on hand at all, not a single one.? But slowly they started to trickle in.? The show also had a demo derby, so we were not sure which cars were there for Autorcross racing and which were for demo derby.? Soon after we arrived, Rick Schneider rolled in, and eventually Mike Knappenberger joined us.? Mike filled us in about his previous weeks adventures with Roland.

      Admission was just $5.? There was a big grandstand and an old half mile track that is no longer used.? The crowd was pretty small, the worst of the year I was told by a local.? The Autocross track was about a 1/5th mile dirt track in the infield.? It had a couple of jumps on the backstretch, which earned it the "off-road" label.? The frontstretch had one turn in each direction, just enough to put it right on the edge between an oval with a dogleg or a road circuit.? The cars ran clockwise, or the opposite direction of the norm in the USA.? We had eaten lunch, so we didn't try any of the food, but Mike had hot dogs, which were just a buck, and said they were good.

      One thing that was unique was that I'm pretty sure I heard them say that cars could practice for an extra $5.? Now there's a potential new revenue stream for short tracks!? If they charged the karts or the pancakers by the lap, they could make a fortune.? They called the driver's meeting for a half hour after the starting time, but it didn't take long and the racing began soon after.

      There were two Autocross races, a 20-lap feature for the small cars, and a 20-lap feature for the big cars.? The small car feature had seven entries.? It lasted about 5-7 minutes, and believe it or not, they said it was intermission.? After about a 20 minute break, they ran the big car feature.? Those were the only two races, as the rest of the show was demo derby and we headed back to Parkersburg.? Mike headed home with his 98th new track of the year in the books, and Rick stayed in Ohio as he was going to Little Eldora the next afternoon.

      Back in Parkersburg, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner.? The big WVU football game was just starting, and the place was packed.? Instead, we got wings there for takeout, then went to a local pizzeria for a takeout large pie, and finally to Tim Horton's for coffee and muffins to eat later for dessert.? We took them back to the hotel room and ate the three-restaurant combo in the room.? On Sunday morning we headed for home, and were home early enough to get a full night sleep before the start of a new work week.

      This weekend Pam is heading to the Penn State / Ohio State "Ineligi Bowl".? I'm going to try to help push Mike across the finish line for his 100th new track of 2012, or at least get him closer.? Hopefully the weather is as nice as it has been all week here in the beautiful Pocono Mountains.

      Guy & Pam Smith 2012 Summary

      2012 New Tracks--Guy 53 / Pam 47
      2012 Event-- Guy 78 / Pam 48
      2012 Total Tracks-- Guy 82 / Pam 51
      2012 Additional Non TC Tracks--Guy 6 / Pam NA