2012 TrackChaser Report--Allentown Fairgrounds (Display)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2012
      TrackChasers:

      My first race ever was a USAC Sprint Car race at the Allentown Fairgrounds on a half mile dirt track in the 1960's. I was at the last race on the half mile as well, an SMRC Midget win for Ronnie Dunstan in the 1970's. There were two otherTC tracks at the facility. There was a small inner oval used one time in 1989 for Mini Sprints, and also indoor racing during the winter at Agricultural Hall. There was also Quarter Midget racing on a small oval on the front stretch, and I believe at one time there was even dirt drag racing there as well?

      Last week was fair week at Allentown, and although racing is long gone (the Mini Sprint race was the last one to date), it is still an annual tradition for me to attend the fair in the town where I grew up. This was my 53rd straight year at the fair (every year I've been alive). I took my mom after school last Thursday, and she thinks this is her 80th straight year there.

      On Monday night while at the West End Fair figure-8 race, Paul Weisel told me that the Eastern Auto Racing Historical Society was going to have a display at the fair in the Agri-Plex, which I think is the current name of the old Ag. Hall building where the indoor races took place. I assumed it was going to be a display about the Sprint Car and Midget racing on the half mile track.

      To my surprise, the display featured the indoor racing, which was held from 1962-1966 and was for Micro Midgets (two classes I believe) and TQ Midgets. Not only did they have some great pictures of the racing there, but they had two cars on display that were co-champions on the series one winter, as well as some interesting race results. It was nice to see the focus shift from the much more famous big track to the far less well known indoor racing held there. Although I am already a dues paying member of the EARHS, I supported the group by buying a few old photos, two for Ginny Schule of her first favorite driver, George Fonder; and one for myself of Paul racing a Midget at the National Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica back in 1983.

      Although Paul is an active member of our TrackChaser group, he continues to wear many interesting hats in the sport, including running the contemporary Keystone Legends Series that races at Linda's and Big Diamond, the EARHS, Weisel Racing Equipment, and he is very active in both restoring race cars and running them at various tracks throughout the northeast and midwest.

      I wish I would have been able to see racing indoors in Allentown. A check of the TrackChaser group database shows that four group members did see racing there: Dwight Bucks, Mike Knappenberger, Gordy Killian, and Paul Weisel. Only Paul has the date of his visit, November 11, 1962.

      Well done on the display, Paul (and thanks for being nice to mom).